It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: CKTG Coffee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Just for fun we're going to sell some coffee. We have an excellent source in our city named Just Coffee Cooperative. I've been drinking it for years and thought it would be fun to use them to make our own brand. So again just for fun let's do the whole thing here from product selection, to name and pricing. If we're not able to sell it I can drink up the inventory! :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: CKTG Coffee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

For starters, here is our source for the coffee: http://justcoffee.coop/

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:49 pm 

LOL!

Talk about novelty coffee! ;)

It isn't a bad idea at all though. With you being so close to where it is roasted the coffee should still be fresh when it gets to where it is going. :)

I'm going to do the fairly obvious and say that the coffees should be named after kitchen knife types. A lighter blend might be called Petty while a stronger, heavier blend might be called Gyuto or Deba for a really strong blend. Something with a multi-layered flavor could be Damascus (or the Japanese word for it). Cheesy, yes, but I think it fits. :P

Of course you would need to avoid using brand names, family names, etc., but knife types should be fine as they won't be trademarked for the most part. Unless some of your knifemaker friends don't mind you naming coffee after them. lol ;)

I'm not a big coffee connoisseur (I like my coffee strong and black) so I'll let someone with better taste than I help you decide on flavor.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:04 pm 

Depending on cost, I might buy some to try and support the site at the same time. I have had a hard time find something better than what I currently buy though. I like to sample specific coffees versus the blends that most roasters sell. Everything I purchase is from Old Bisbee Roasters in Bisbee, AZ. They keep all their beans green until orders are placed and everything is shipped out fresh. I get the beans 2 days after they are roasted and the flavors are killer compared to anything you can get in a store and even better than a lot of coffee shops. Price is comparable to most of the name brand "specialty" stuff in the stores too.

I think it would be a good fit for CKTG though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:16 pm 

We use our espresso machine daily. I would definitely take a bag of whole espresso beans when I place my next CKTG order. Then my GF couldn't stay mad about another purchase. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:57 pm 

Richmond ButcherBlock

"Those with sharp blades need a good place to start."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

They'll do really small batches and deliver 5-10 bags at a time to keep it fresh. They also use foil lined bags that keep it fresh. They can do blends but I think it would be more cool to get the beans from a single grower that we decide on so we can promote them on the bag or on the item page.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:53 pm 

chefknivestogo wrote:They'll do really small batches and deliver 5-10 bags at a time to keep it fresh. They also use foil lined bags that keep it fresh. They can do blends but I think it would be more cool to get the beans from a single grower that we decide on so we can promote them on the bag or on the item page.

Sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:55 pm 

Whole bean, yes?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:01 pm 

A single grower also sounds like it will help with coffee consistency as well. Consistency through and through can often be better for a business than quality if the quality is off and on.

I remember a video I saw long ago when I worked in retail. The guy on it said consistency is key. If you're mediocre, stay mediocre. If you're great, stay great. If you go back and forth you just upset people and lose customers.

Not that I'm saying the coffee will be mediocre (freshly roasted coffee sounds great! Just wish we had that at work. lol), just that I think a single grower would be a good thing for a consistent product. :P lol

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next