It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:03 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: CJA Edged Art/Scorpion Forge
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:58 am 

Hey guys! Just thought I'd share a couple pictures of the recent kitchen knives I've made. ANY critique or commentary is very welcome! (I'll be giving you LOTS of information to base your commentary on lol).

First up would be the first 'real' kitchen knives I'd ever attempted (I'd actually made another...sort of...years ago, but I refuse to count it lol). A 200mm gyuto, and 150mm petty in Aldo Bruno's W2. I made them as a matching set for my dad for Father's Day.

And a closeup of the handles, Arizona desert ironwood and copper.

Not only were the kitchen knives my 'first' lol, but the handles were too. They were actually my first ANYTHING made out of wood.

Dimensions on the knives are as follows.

Gyuto:
200mm long, 43mm tall at the heel.
Spine thickness is 2.35mm at the heel, 1.7mm mid blade, .55mm 1cm from the tip.
Thickness 1cm above the edge is .94mm at the heel, .89mm midblade, .50mm 1cm from the tip.
The thing is very light (144oz), but the balance point remains right at the bolster. Its relatively flexible, but I've had no problems cutting spaghetti squash with it. In all honesty, I like this one better than the second gyuto I made, though I think this one might be a bit fragile in a pro kitchen. It cuts like mad, but I'm not sure how durable the edge would be in professional use. At home it's seriously a joy.

Petty:
150mm long, 30mm tall at the heel.
Spine thickness is 2.49mm at the heel, 1.9mm midblade, and .65mm 1cm from the tip.
Thickness 1cm above the edge is 1.13mm at the heel, 1.10mm midblade, and .65mm 1cm from the tip.
Weight is 89g, and it is of course handle heavy. I designed it to be a good, relatively stiff general use blade.

Again, any critique or commentary is more than welcome. It would actually be very much appreciated. I've been studying all overt the internet for months now, soaking up all the information I can in regards to these kinds of knives. Any information I can gain from you all would help me a long way towards improving my work!

Post subject: Re: CJA Edged Art/Scorpion Forge
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:17 am 

Next up we have a 225mm gyuto I made for a very close friend of mine in Canada. She's a photographer, graphic artist, painter, tattoo model, and does some really varied types of catering. She's also rather...outgoing, to say the least. At the same time, she's one of the most classy women I've ever met. I felt her knife should reflect both traits.

So...the pictures!

And a couple so you can see more how I setup the dimensions on the handle.

This is from the top.

And this from the side.

Overall stats:
Weight - 173g
Balance right at the ferrule (its a tad handle heavy in my opinion...the blade came out a good bit lighter than I expected)
Edge length - 225mm (8.5")
Heel to belly (flat part of edge) - 115mm (4.5")
Overall length - 365mm (14.4")
Height at heel - 40mm (1.57")
Height at midblade - 33.5mm (1.34")
Height 5cm from tip - 19mm (.75")
This blade was originally intended to be 230mm. I'd never quenched with oil (Parks 50 in this case...previously I'd always used brine), and so I wasn't prepared for the rather massive downturn in the blade post quench. I'd of course read about it, but seeing how drastic it was caught me off guard. I ended up having to shorten the blade by half an inch in order to get my edge profile back where I wanted it. I also ended up taking nearly a quarter inch off the heel to spine width in order to get the edge flat from heel to belly as well. This will be taken into consideration on the next one.

Blade: W1 drill rod.
Spine thickness is 2.35mm above the heel, 2.27mm midblade, and .50mm 1cm from the tip.
Thickness 1cm above the edge is 1.14mm above the heel, 1.10mm midblade, and .5mm 1cm from the tip.
The blade seems to cut well. My previous attempt in W2 above cuts better, but is much thinner and more flexible. This doesn't bother me personally, but I was advised that a stiffer blade would be better in a professional kitchen. If this knife were being made for my own use, I'd have thinned it out a bit more behind the edge (from 50mm to 150mm above the edge in particular). As it is, I can't wait to get the feedback on it...as it's going to be in use in a pro kitchen for a week before going out to the end recipient.

Handle: Stabilized cottonwood burl, African wenge, and brass (special thanks to Craig Stevens for the burl).
Length - 120mm (4.73")
Ferrule, width x height - 19.2mm x 22.8mm (.76"x..90")
Butt, width x height - 25.73mm x 25.92mm (1.013"x1.020")
I'm pretty happy with the handle. The young lady who is receiving it has smallish hands, thus the intentional shorter length. I considered thinning it out a little for balance, but to be honest...she seems very happy with the dimensions as/is. We discussed the handle size on her current favorite knife...and I figured this would work out well for her.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:27 am 

And a (slightly blurry, lol) sneak peak of my current project!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:36 am 

330mm beast? You are one insane man :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:45 am 

Ah.....so you make swords too! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:50 am 

Don Nguyen wrote:330mm beast? You are one insane man :)

Lol, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, right??

More seriously, I was approached by one of my Instagram friends (the person who pointed me here by the way!) about making a suji. I figured 'why not?? My last gyuto was already very 'sujiesque'!'. Well...I started today...and in the middle of forging when I asked him about length, and he said '300mm+, preferably around 330mm', lol...I said 'Ohhhh boy!'.

But hey, its a challenge...and should be a real pretty knife if I can pull it off as I intend (which basically means 'if it doesn't pretzel into a figure 8 in heat treat, lol).

Here's a peek at the handle material :).

Fun stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:02 am 

Jeff B wrote:Ah.....so you make swords too! :D

Actually, I do!! I didn't expect to be making one today though, lol. We'll definitely be seeing how much the heat treat fairy likes (or dislikes) me on this one. I'm already having visions of pulling a spring shaped object out of the quenchant :p.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:30 am 
Forum Moderator

Nice work.

:)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:40 am 

MadRookie wrote:Nice work.

:)

Thank you sir!

I've been working on this big suji over the course of this week, and completed the hardening yesterday. I can't say I'm looking forward to grinding out all this hardened W2 along a 330mm long blade...but what's got to be done, has got to be done! I've got to say...the way I'm designing it this blade is going to be relatively thin. Somewhere in the range of right at 2.75mm above the heel, 2ish mm midblade (6.5" up the blade no less lol), tapering to .7mm 1cm from the tip. Right now it's 3.3mm, 3.2mm, and 2.0mm respectively lol. That's a lot of hardened W2 to grind without any real sort of belt grinder! The grind will be my own convex setup, with the thickest part of the blade being about 1.5-2cm below the spine for about 2/3 the length of the blade. Picture a typical 50/50 geometry, but with a back cut around midblade to help with stiction. The blade is 43mm tall at the heel. The tip is 11mm off the board when the edge is flat, and the flat begins to sweep up at 125mm from the tip (200mm from the heel), so approximately 2/3 of the edge is flat. Total edge length is actually 326mm. Length to the machi is 355mm. Overall length with the handle (buffalo horn, nickel silver, and either box elder, or buckeye burl) I have planned will be roughly 505mm.

But most importantly, I'm relatively pleased with the hamon :).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:29 am 

That last picture was at 36 grit...these are at 80 grit, with a dip or two in ferric chloride :).

For some reason the pattern puts me in mind of dragon bones...lol.

Anyhow, the edge is still about .6mm thick. Tomorrow it should be ground to the cutting edge (I grind everything to a zero bevel...then sharpen after polish and etching), and hopefully I can knock out most of the polish. After that, its just a matter of waiting for the nickel silver I ordered to come in the mail...then I can finish the handle. I'm hoping maybe by Wednesday next week it'll be a live blade!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next