It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Chosera vs Naniwa Superstones?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

I would like your advice and opinions concerning Chosera and the Naniwa super stones.

I know the Chosera stones are held in very high regard but price is a consideration. I currently use the Shapton glass 1000 and 4000 stones and while they perform well, seem to gouge easily. My goal is to try a stone that is slightly harder than the Shaptons and provides good feedback.

I’d like to try either the Chosera 800 or the Naniwa 1000 but if you know of another selection worth considering I’d greatly appreciate any advice you can give.

Best regards,

Mike

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Chosera vs Naniwa Superstones?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mike,

The Shapton Glass stones are harder than either of the choseras or the superstones. They are harder than most synthetics with a few exceptions.

In terms of hardness I would rate in this order:
Shapton Glass
Chosera
Superstones

The superstones are downright soft especially on the higher grits.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

chefknivestogo wrote:Hi Mike,

The Shapton Glass stones are harder than either of the choseras or the superstones. They are harder than most synthetics with a few exceptions.

In terms of hardness I would rate in this order:
Shapton Glass
Chosera
Superstones

The superstones are downright soft especially on the higher grits.

+1

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, the Shapton stones in general are far harder than any other synthetic stones. If you're gouging is the same as my definition of gouging, and you're gouging Shapton GS's, I would recommend you practice holding a steady angle in lieu of getting additional stones.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:33 am 

Yes to practicing your angle holding. But if you have the basics, bobbles and gouging are usually the result of lack of attention.

Unless your stones are from a bad batch, they're not the source of your problem. GS are high quality, fast, consistent, convenient stones with good feedback. Their downsides of are how hard they are to flatten, one-sidedness (which means more flattening), and the inherent fragility of their glass base. They are more resistant than most to gouging.

If you're bent on replacing your medium/coarse and medium/fine Shapton GS, consider the Bester 1.2K which is very fast, hard, and quite gouge resistant, but needs a lot of soaking; and the Suehiro Rika, which is soft, but doesn't gouge easily, has excellent feedback, and is extremely beginner friendly. If any stone will help teach you, it's the Rika.

BDL

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:05 am 
Forum Moderator

Agree with previous comparisons. The only stone I know of harder than the Shapton Glass or Pro 1k is the XX hard Nubatama speckled Ume 1k (Mark has the medium hardness only, not the hard or extra hard) and a couple of natural stones BUT if you are gouging a Shapton 1k - or 4k, the problem is technique and you will most certainly gouge most any stone.

Stick with your Shapton stones rather than going for something else and develop your technique - less pressure and more focus on angle consistency. Once you have improved your technique then you can better appreciate stones of various hardnesses.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:34 pm 

Well i see that Shapton stones are extremely popular and i think that would be my next purchase 1k and 4k, thx for feedback

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:56 am 

speak about soft, the Naniwa SS 8k feels like chalk!

pat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:10 am 

The Naniwa Snow White 8k though feels like ... stone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:48 am 

Diamond plates won't gouge, but it might be more beneficial to try a softer touch.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]