It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:54 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Chipping?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:27 pm 

I call bullshit on "Ceramic rods leave a fairly toothy edge." Some do, some don't. DMT CS2s, Idahones, and MAC Blacks don't. Those three are roughly equivalent to 2K JIS.

Most people don't know how to use a rod without weakening the edge and making it more chip prone; most probably actually chip the rod as part of their steeling practice. Few strokes, very light pressure, never bang the knife against the rod. Bad steeling technique could be part of your problem. If you have the time and the interest, read Steeling Away.

Chipping is endemic to poly boards. The knife bites into the board. The board holds the knife, and if the user torques the knife while it's in the board, the edge tends to chip. The problem is substantially worse with a toothy blade or a wire edge.

If you tend to chip right after you sharpen, it's very likely you're not deburring all the way after sharpening.

BDL

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

The kitchen ceramic hones don't seem to leave as toothy of an edge, but my Idahone leaves a rougher edge than I like. I only used it once or twice and it hasn't been out of my block in months to use. I just touch up on a J Nat stone instead. I have some ceramic crock sticks from years ago and on many knives, they tend to leave a burr and not a very clean edge. No, I'm not banging the edge or anything, but I never liked ceramic sticks on any knife.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:23 pm 

The Idahone Fine aka Idahone "1200" is the grit equivalent of 2K JIS. Why aoto grit level gives you a rough edge, I can't say. Perhaps it's technique. Perhaps something else. For instance, Idahone also makes a "Medium," and your rod may have been mislabeled. Who knows? I don't know enough to have an opinion as to why you're getting coarse edges.

However, I've used a few Idahone Fine ceramics enough to have an opinion about where they stand in the world of rod hones. They're harder on a polished edge than my HA glass rod; but not by much. The edges they leave are pretty damn fine if the edge they started with was fine to begin with.

In my experience, they're no more likely to create serration than a packer's rod. Less actually, because (a) packer's rods scratch themselves, and the scratches can nick; and (b) any metal rod gives off its own scratchy swarf.

At least we can agree that "crock sticks" and Sharpmakers -- crocks sticks by another name -- suck. The Sharpmaker myth is especially pathetic because so many people buy into it.

BDL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:22 am 

OK I adjusted my angle when I sharpen my knives today got all the chips out. It took a little bit more work but I think it is sharper than I have ever had it. Used 1000 to 3000 to strop strop. deburring along the way. At home it is smooth cutting go to work on Thursday see how it holds up.

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2