It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:50 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: "Chef"
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:05 pm 

Melampus wrote:STEVEO <> I am a strong advocate against culinary school. I am an even stronger advocate against working in food service. Shitty job w/mostly shitty people, for shitty pay, during shitty hours… anyone consciously & willingly trying to enter the industry is a dolt.. IMO. There are the young children out there like the Canadian LUNA, who have that beautifully innocent perspective of life whereas “the life of a starving artist” is cool, but odds are he will wake up and smell the roses. Hopefully before his stubborn youthful spunk wastes his life away on the shit-hole of an industry professional food service is. I’ll repeat - hopefully before his stubborn youthful spunk wastes his life away on the shit-hole of an industry professional food service is.

To quote him, “I can't really picture myself doing anything else, day in day out I enjoy the work I do. It's my life, it's what makes me happy and what makes me want to wake up in the morning. “ Odds are, as I’m sure most adults will concur, 95% of teenagers’ vision is limited at best. It would be extremely difficult for him to picture anything else as he has such a tiny amount of life experience to draw upon. Maybe he’s the 5%... I doubt it.

Suggested reading:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4817&hilit=culinary%20school <--link

NBLES <> I glean that’s rhetorical as they’re both useless fodder in our way.

I think you underestimate how cunning our generation really is. I have a wide skill set, I could, like I've said before, go to school for engineering or industrial design. However, that's not what I wish to do.

I would however be a complete fool to travel outside the country for work. You guys in the states, I truly feel for you. Work is scarce and low pay from what I hear. People end up working in the service industry as their is no other jobs. However up here, the industry is thriving as it pretty much always has. Will I make as much money as I could being an electrical engineer? Hell no, not unless I get really lucky that is. However, to me that's not a fulfilling life. To me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

LUNA <> And like I've said before, "I wish you all the best" as the beliefs you hold as the teenager you are will nearly invariably change in the not so distant future. I'm simply offering a wisdom of age, experience, and intellect that you will ignore now as you have in the past... I'd expect nothing less from you.

Rock on, dude! I'm just presenting a perspective that you clearly have to realize the hard way. Hopefully, it doesn't take you too long. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:02 pm 

As an outsider of the industry, is there that big a difference in pay and average work conditions between the States and Canada?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:57 pm 

Management makes around $70k/year and junior managemen is 40k/yr. Both with room for bonuses dependent on performance- mostly penny pinching. Line cooks are making around $25/yr depending on OT. Most of my line cooks work two restaurant jobs and work 70+ a week.

I get other perks. Only pay 1/3 of my healthcare, 40 hours of PTO and 401k contribution depending on company stock at the end of the year. I live in the mid-west and my two room condo mortgage is around 1k a month with taxes in a nice part of town.

Go to a big city and we are all making a drop in the bucket.

I don't know what they make up north.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:23 pm 

In the mega cities there are tons of foodies. Well, the best way to explain where I live is this. People immigrate because they are poor and want a better life from their family. OR because they are filthy stinking rich.

We have a lot of foodies with a thriving service industry, now you have to work for it. I know many people that are making the $18/hr in there 20's.

To sum it all up, if you want to make money, there is a lot of potential in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. This being said, there's a lot of people in the service industry making bottom of the barrel wages and working long hours.

Before someone points this out I know, potential does not = success.

It's not impossible for an executive chef to make 6 figures in Toronto/Vancouver. Although the average I believe is 60K.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:44 pm 

You've got a choice to make. Make money or learn.

Only you can make that decision

Page 4 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4