It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: "Chef"
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:14 am 

Melampus wrote:Image

Shit. Just what this industry needs. Another round of bandwagoneers...

+3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:08 pm 

+4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

hahahhah +5

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

SCARY <> I never said, implied, nor inferred it wouldn't be funny. It will, as did the Food Network, glorify a miserable industry that chews up & spits out the vast majority of souls. I am not a Chef by choice, I am a Chef by default due to my skill set. No one would punish themselves through the reality that professional food service is if they were in their right mind. Consensus seems to have had argued over my lifetime, thus far, I am clearly abnormal. From the furthest back I can remember, my 6th grade guidance counselor explaining to me that I was a masochist... actually, one of the few memories I have from that time of life. This is why there is the old adage, "Chefs are crazy." And many are, most are just stupid though.

People watch "celebrity Chefs" on TV, and assume cooking is all movie set pretty. You know how many culinary students I've fired because they can't even comprehend how a real kitchen operates.?! :lol: Professional food service is a miserable existence I would wish only upon my enemies.

You might enjoy this read: http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1948&hilit=down%20out%20in%20Paris

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:46 pm 

hi melampus,

i was contemplating on a career change and becoming a chef. do you think its necessary to spend a ton of money to go to a well known school to learn the craft?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:58 pm 

Melampus,

I didn't mean to imply that you would not see it as funny, just that I understand how it may be viewed as a potential to create what has been referred to as "bandwagoneers".

Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read to say the least. There are always places to learn.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:33 pm 

which is worse mel:

The clueless culinary student

or

the pothead who read kitchen confidential one too many times and thinks hes a rockstar

:)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:31 pm 

Well I'm a home cook who has no desire to work long hours for little pay and am quite content to cook for my wife and I... :shock: LOL....

But I am looking forward to this movie, looks like fun.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

P.S. I did read Kitchen Confidential, thought it was a good read; don't know how much it actually pertains to real life, but I'm sure some of you here do....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:47 am 

stevonyc34 wrote:hi melampus,

i was contemplating on a career change and becoming a chef. do you think its necessary to spend a ton of money to go to a well known school to learn the craft?

Thanks.

No, it isn't. Culinary School will only teach you the basics. I can't even keep count of how many absolute donkeys I have seen with a piece of paper that think they are going to go right to an executive position because they went to a culinary program.

The first thing you should do is try to land an entry level job for a few months to see if it something you actually like and enjoy. Then maybe explore the possibility of training in the craft.

My $0.02

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:47 am 

I know I'd hate culinary work even though I do enjoy it at home.

Page 2 of 4 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next