We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Thu May 17, 2012 6:46 am
We have a very close friend's 40th birthday coming up. We want to get him a special knife. Requirements are;
- Half decent home cook! Knife won't be abused.
- Probably something versatile like a 240mm Gyuto
- Western handle, he has a bit of a girlie hand so does not need to be a beefy handle
- Stainless I would think is preferable, perhaps a damascus finish
- He does not sharpen but hopefully I can assist him or he'll learn
- Something with a special handle or limited edition/custom/nifty box to mark the occasion. I guess where I am going with this is that knife performance (whilst I expect would be excellent on any knife in this price range) is less important than presentation.
- Budget is $500 or thereabouts.
- Needs to be available for delivery very soon
- Perhaps steer clear of anything with exotic animal handles due to potential import restrictions
Thu May 17, 2012 2:50 pm
How soon is "very soon"? Adam Marr and Matt Stephens are doing some really nice custom handled western knives for me right now but I'm not sure on the delivery date yet. I'm guessing I would have some selection of them in a couple weeks.
As was mentioned my Remedy is available now and I have a few more to choose from if you want to give one of them a try. Adam did the handles on these and they would make a great gift. The one with the spalted maple burl handle is amazing.
Thu May 17, 2012 4:05 pm
Spalted Maple is one of my favorite woods!!!!
Thu May 17, 2012 9:14 pm
I need the knife in Australia by 9th June at the latest and would not wish to cut it to fine on delivery.
The Richmond does look like a very nice knife.
A couple of us have chipped in and I have a $500 kitty so if I can use it I'd like to.
A few that took my eye;
Takeshi Saji 240mm Gyuto
Rodrigue 240mm Western Chef
Tanaka Gyuto 240mm Iron Wood
How would these compare?
Thu May 17, 2012 10:39 pm
The Takeshi is a new knife for us and I'm waiting for more to come in but I doubt we will have them in time.
The Tanaka should be back in stock in the next 5 days. It's a good knife.
Pierre has not shipped a knife to me in quite a while. He's a busy guy and does this knife making as a side business so I'm not sure when I'll get more. I'll ask him. He makes really nice knives. Very unique and well made.
Thu May 17, 2012 10:57 pm
I could for sure get a 240mm western to Mark, but I would not have much of a chance getting it to Mark or you by your requested date. What I could do, is do one as a WIP (work in progress with photos at all the stages), and you could give the link to your friend in a smaller present/card as an "its on its way, but not gonna make it on time" gift, then he could see it come together, and gain an appreciation of what you guys are doing for him. I have some great ironwood I could attach to it.
Thu May 17, 2012 11:00 pm
Mark I have signed up to be informed when the Tanaka is back in stock. This could be the knife.
Fri May 18, 2012 7:02 am
I must have been typing the above post whilst you were typing yours.
Your idea sounds fine. I shall contact Chef Knives To Go to organise something.
Thanks to all for the input.
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
phpBB Mobile / SEO by Artodia.