It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Chef knife for a wedding gift.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

hi mark,

I have another wedding coming up. I am looking for a chefs knife. a while back I think i bought western style konosuke hd & kihiuchi tkc knives. there were two brands very similar steel. almost stainless but not quite. I do not recall exactly but they are great knives. I do have one of that steel marked HD that I use as a steak knife & looks like something suitable for field dressing deer. it is s knuckle buster. no offset between handle & blade. it is awesome knife. some kind of boning knife I guess. it is one of my favorite steel types. even my wife does not complain about it imparting a metallic taste like she says my takedas do.

I am looking for high carbon stainless or almost stainless such as the knives above, good balance between ease of sharpening & edge holding. good balance in the hand.

one possibility is something like the Sakai 180 or 210 hammered vg10 my wife uses or something similar to that. she will not dry knives & is abusive. she will use the HD but i have to derust it with barkeepers friend when she is done. the Sakai is not my favorite but it is easy enough to maintain once the edge is set. it was a bit of a bitch to grind a proper edge when I received it but it holds a edge extremely well & it is easy enough to touch up or resharpen & it is hard enough to avoid most nicks.

any recommendations along these lines? the woman is a slender 6'2". i am thinking maybe a 210mm & a green brick. I do not think these are takeda people.

also, what about sharpening. I am not crazy about out of the box edges in general. I would prefer to have it presharpened, shave ready & shipped directly to them.

please let me know what you suggest when you have time. not a rush.

i hope all is well. thanks again.

regards, steve

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Chef knife for a wedding gift.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

Ok you want:

Gyuto
210mm
Stainless
Sharp out of box
Good edge retention

The two questions I'm going to guess answers to.
Price about 2-300
Western??

This Haruyuki would be good. SG-2 has excellent edge holding properties, is stainless and is shaving sharp out of the box. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/hasrs15post2.html

If you wanted a good stainless Wa gyuto that would make an attractive gift this Kikuichi is nice, made with AEB-L steel and very nice damascus pattern: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kiswwadagy21.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

STEVE <> As I commented in one of the scores of "wedding gift" threads, here's another perspective. Most Americans won't respect a JK adequately; I hope this slender lady will if you go there.

Melampus wrote:"...not nearly as durable if your gift recipients are "usual" people that treat knives "usually"... our treasures, are effectively trash to 99% of the population. E.G., if I allowed my GF to use one of my JK's hardened to HRc 66 sharpened at 12 degrees, she'd break it under 2 minutes on a board.

If they're "normal" and let's say they leave knives in the sink, for one example or for another example, they use glass or corian cutting boards or for another example, they use their knife as a bench scraper & slide food across their board with it, just buy them Wushof Ikons and be praised for gifting them "the best on the market..." ;)

Most people don't want a job or an education in a gift; only you know what type of people they are..."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:40 pm 

I am looking for western handle 210 mm gyuto.

SRS15, AEB-L or similar steel.

Harayuki SG-2 Gyoto is interesting if it is SRS15 as described but probably not if SG-2.

I could not find Kikuichi western handle in AEB-L. Any other AEB-L options.

friends don't give friends Wustoffs so that is not an option & I leave the gift department to my wife unless the recipients are important people & enjoy cooking & who will appreciate a fine knife.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:14 am 
Forum Moderator

STEVE O <> You're right... friends don't give friends Wusthofs. That's why I NEVER gift knives. People don't get steel UNLESS they're into steel. And if they're into steel, they already told you what they want.

SG2 is much more similar to SRS15 than is AEB-L. The Artifex<-- link is a yo-AEB-L.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:18 pm 

Melampus -- thanks for the link.

every knife I have ever gifted was a huge sensation. some people don't know a real knife until they have one in their hands. one knife went to a pickle people couple new to the prep world. another went to great cooks who were young & never experienced a fine knife.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry for the confusion. Yes it's SRS15. It's similar to SG-2 in that they're both high speed powdered steels. I'll fix the site.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

SRS15 and AEB-L are both stainless steels, but past that they are very different. Why those two steels?

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:58 pm 

Adam -- why? good question. I read good things about those two steels but have no experience with them. something for a change I suppose.

the knives are not for me & am looking forward to trying those two steel types. I do not know if the recipients are willing to wipe down the knives. I have gone through various stainless steel types. Mama san uses VG-10 which I like ok but she does not dry knives. it is pretty good steel, holds up well after it is honed to my liking. once the edge is set it is fairly easy to maintain.

I personally use takeda agomi & the semi-stainless Konosuke HD or Kikuichi TKC steels. I have always been a carbon steel person & wiping & sharpening knives is not an issue for me nor is the occasional rust as long as I have a can of barkeeper's friend.

I went with Mark's recommendation for the Haruyuki 210 western which he confirmed is SRS-15, not SG-2. If they do not like it they can regift it to me.

I am always looking for knives so what is your current steel of choice these days?

& thank you for the question & the time to respond.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

I still primarily use AEB-L for stainless and 52100 for carbon. I've gotten good at heat treating those two and I like the properties I can get.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next