It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cheese Knife
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:44 am 

I am wondering what type of knife many of you use for cutting cheese. We often purchase larger blocks of cheese, but many of the specialty cheeses also come in wedges with wax coatings, etc.

I really don't know what Japanese knife design is considered ideal for this type of cheese cutting.

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Cheese Knife
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 pm 

With many views and no replies, I am going to assume that either the Gyuto or the Nakiri, being described as "all purpose knives", can successfully handle the cheese cutting demands.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

You know I don't recall ever seeing or hearing of Japanese cheese knife. Maybe they don't eat a lot of cheese tradtitionally. :)

I know Global makes some cheese knives, but they look gimicky.

I use a petty/gyuto to cut large hard cheese blocks down.

However, I still use a wire cutter for soft cheeses and even semi-soft cheeses. Nothing works as well for me.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:44 pm 

Thanks Adam. I think the Gyuto or the Nakiri or the paring knife will do the task nicely. I am going to plan on buying all three knives. Even though owning a Gyuto and a Nakiri represents redundancy, if not total overlap, I suspect that we will define their strengths and use that knowledge to define their individual uses.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:42 pm 

There is nothing better than a wire cutter for cutting cheese other than the hardest types.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

ON EDGE <> I hadn't seen your first post, but although a Gyuto is an appropriate profile, be conscious of Rc. If the knife is going to be used solely for opening cheese wheels, choose a softer steel to allow you to really torque through some harder cheeses. It's not even so much the cheese though it can be on hard raw aged rinds, but more so the force that potentially can be transmitted through the blade IF it slams into a board after penetrating the underside of the wheel. You are NOT going to want to break through a wheel of Mimolette with a Rc61 Laser. I'd look for something with some heft & a nice convex grind to separate from the cheese.

A Nakiri & Gyuto do overlap, but are not redundant. Though I don't know I'd ever grab a large faced Nakiri to go through any large wheel or large brick of cheese...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:05 pm 

I don't really find that Nakiri and Gyuto overlap. I find them specifically good at different things..different sizes, different methods, different types of food.

I find them quite different.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

DESOL <> From my perspective, they overlap in that they both do a lot of the same things well, but they are not redundant as they both excel in areas the other does not.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:33 am 

Most of my chopping is vegetables, so my Nakiri's see far more use.

Gyuto has a more aggressive profile(it looks meaner) ;) , but they're too big and have too much belly, hence i find them too slow. I'm used to ripping through cloves of garlic, onions, green onions, mushrooms, etc. I'd love to get a heavier, professional Usuba type, but they're so darned expensive.

Topic:
Not sure if Mark has anything like this, but dedicated cheese knives look to be hollowed out...or just have the wire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_knife

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:15 pm 

This is not Japanese but Swiss. I saw these all over Switzerland and they were set next the cheeses at breakfast every morning. I liked it so much I bought one while I was there. It goes through everything easily including hard cheeses like parmesan and it goes right through wax and hard rinds. It makes the job easier since you are pushing down from the top of the blade. Sits in a storage container. Here is a link with an image.

http://www.shopswiss.com/Default.aspx?t ... uctID=4251

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next