It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Caring for a Konosuke HD2 and Stropping it
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:56 pm 

Hello All,

So I think I'll be purchasing a Konosuke HD2 at the end of the week and I had a few questions in light of that.

Right now I care for my knives by washing and wiping both sides of the blade with a soapy sponge and hot water and then drying with a paper towel.

In terms of washing the Konosuke HD2, would that above method suffice? I do know I need to wipe it down with a towel to avoid rusting. Would I need to wipe it down between every onion? Or does it only need a wipe down if I'd ever not be cutting with it for more than 30 seconds?

Also, given the cost of the knife and the saya to go with it, I don't plan on purchasing the strop kit immediately. I am a home cook so there are no 5 hour prep sessions, 6 days a week going on at my home. I would use it a lot, but nothing even close to that.

Would the knife stay sharp for 2 months or so before I went ahead and purchased the strop set? Or is that asking the knife to last too long without any sort of honing/straightening. I'd imagine I wouldn't have to put it to stones for 6 months or so.

Thank you for all of the help!

Post subject: Re: Caring for a Konosuke HD2 and Stropping it
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:26 pm 

You may treat the semi-stainless steel in the HD2 series just like regular stainless. It takes more than 30 seconds for it to stain - like maybe a half hour or so - and even then it will be a greyish discoloration, rather than rust. That's one of the advantages to semi-stainless steel.

As far as when the edge will need attention, that depends on your expectations for a sharp knife. For some, a week of light use is enough for them to detect degradation of the edge and a subsequent trip to the strop or stones. You'll just have to see what your standards are.

A strop kit is a luxury, not a necessity, as you can strop on newspaper laid over a hard object to support it (a waterstone is perfect for this). There is an abrasive in the ink that does the work. You can also strop on a high-grit stone. So don't sweat the strop kit for now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:32 pm 

I have a DMT DuoSharp. That wouldn't be an appropriate thing to use with a Konosuke HD2 would it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:50 pm 

Though DMT calls it "extra fine", the highest grit (mesh) DuoSharp is only equivalent to a 1200 grit waterstone, and is a bit too coarse for stropping. You're looking for 5000 grit or higher.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:56 pm 

Thanks.

Would the duosharp be something I could use to sharpen the Konosuke HD2? As a japanese knife I'd assume it would need waterstones and/or something more substantial the the Duosharp. I use that to keep my Henckels 4 Star sharp. Obviously that is nowhere near a Konosuke.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:22 pm 

There's no reason you couldn't use the DuoSharp on the Konosuke, as long as you're happy with the edge that you get with the extra-fine mesh. I've used DMT DiaSharp plates on Japanese knives and they worked well, except that they had very little feedback,

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:23 pm 

Feedback?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:11 pm 

Feedback is the term used to describe the tactile sensations that are generated by the interaction of knife and stone while sharpening. An experienced sharpener uses it, along with muscle memory, to maintain a constant angle. On a stone with good feedback, it is easier to detect the subtle tactile indications that the angle has changed.

Yeah, that sounds like pure hokem, but it isn't. Really.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:45 am 

If you don't have a fine ceramic rod like the Idahone you will probably want to strop weekly to help you extend your sharp edge until its time to take it to the stones. Personally I think stropping is very important but you don't necessarily need to spend 60-100 right away to strop.

You can check out our poorman strop thread under sharpening for ideas if you can't purchase a strop set yet. Different metal polishes can be applied on everything from newspaper, cardboard, denim jeans, brown paper bags to the cardboard rolls inside your paper towels.

Also the CKTG strop set is basically top of the line set and the same thing goes for the emulsions sprays you can get a basic leather strop with green compound elsewhere on the net for around $25.

Or just pick up some Richmond Diamond Paste for $12/15 and use some of the previous material mentioned as your stropping material. This is what I would probably end up doing if I didn't have any kind of metal compound or polish laying around the house. You will certainly have a piece of cardboard or a pair of old jeans and just spread the diamond paste on that. Because when you do have enough money for the complete strop set you can still use your paste because it lasts a while.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:27 am 

If you have the DMT duo sharp then you don't need to get the strop kit. You just need to get a balsa with the magnet backing and some stropping compound and you can stick that on top of the DMT duosharp plate. I take it you got the duosharp with the base, even if you didn't the balsa is about half an inch thick which is sufficient height to strop if you do it at the corner of a table. You can get the 11" balsa with magnet back even though the duosharp is just 8", the 11" balsa is stiff enough to not bend stuck to an 8" dmt plate. As for stropping compound, something between 2 and 1 micron should be good for a polished yet little toothy edge, I use a metal polish or diamond paste depending on my mood and what I'm cutting (use separate balsa bases for different compounds). If you strop often you could keep the knife sharp a long time between sharpening sessions. Don't bother with getting a ceramic honing rod if you strop. Ceramic and other rods reduce grit on the edge to 1200 at best. Stropping maintains the high grit finish.

Page 1 of 4 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next