It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Carbon steel knife for cutting bones.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:15 am 

Jasperdog, could I make a suggestion? Just something for you to try?
With the pheasant legs, take a cleaver and chop just above the "ankle" bone...the bulged part of the legbone above the foot. Then, hold the leg in your hand tight, and start pulling the meat downward away from that end with your fingers. Keep working it down until the tendons are well exposed. Then, take some needle-nosed pliers and, holding the meat tightly, gently and slowly pull out the tendons. You are left with solid meat, no tendons, and the meat is great.
I left the pheasants whole and cooked them in an oven brown-in bag. I floured the pheasants with seasoned flour, very lightly browned them in a skillet. Then I put a couple tablespoons flour in the bag and shook it up good. I then put the pheasants in and poured a can of chicken broth in, and tied the bag tight. Turned out great.
Like I said, just something different to try. But pulling the tendons gives you some mighty fine meat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:42 am 
Forum Moderator

That is a great tip! When I used to pheasant hunt, I hated dealing with the legs and those crazy tendons!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:22 pm 

Thanks, that is a good idea.. Next rooster I will give that a try..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:38 pm 

I for one would like to hear more about some L6 products.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

L6 is a high nickel steel that was often used in old saw blades, the big ones found in sawmills. Very Very tough steel. Admiral Steel used to carry bar stock of it, but they have replaced it with 8260M IIRC; it's a very similar steel. Very tough and durable carbon steel with a lot of nickel in it. I think it would be a custom knife type thing; what type of knife are you guys looking for out of it? Something like a Gyuto or a Cleaver?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:59 pm 

The guy I got mine from used old blades. He was from Montana or Idaho and I think his first name was Carl. Like I say I can't find him

I have 15 of his knives, many are paring knives we use as steak knives. Lots of exotic wood handles which no matter how careful we are, are pretty well wrecked.

I do have one 8" or so chef knife shaped model. It cuts everything. Not elegantly, but it does not give in.

I finally figured out how to sharpen them when I got my first edge pro and discovered knife forums.

They are clearly a different product from what this forum is really about but useful in certain situations.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:23 am 
Forum Moderator

Western Deba (Tojiro) is a good choice but isn't carbon. For Carbon the CCKs are good - much softer steel.

Another more delicate one is the Garasuki - like the honesuki but heavier - just heavy enough to cut through chicken bones. Excellent for dissecting birds - more of a French or American style of butchery. The CCKs are more for chopping them up without respecting anatomy too much - through the bone or joint depending on how accurately you swing. Great for Chinese style cooking - breaking up the bird into bite sized chunks that you can pick up with a chop stick pair. The Western deba is right inbetween. Ig you are going beyond fowl - pork etc, go for something bigger than the garasuki like a heavy cleaver or WD.

I think Mark may have some carbon ones on the site too - WDs. garasuki and honesuki.

---
Ken

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2