It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Can a Suji slice prosciutto?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:36 am 

Getting damned tired of the motorized slicer at work acting up. It's seven years old and hasn't been serviced too much these days. It just doesn't cut good.

Is a Suji suitable for doing paper thin cuts?

Post subject: Re: Can a Suji slice prosciutto?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:58 am 

I can't imagine it would be faster than a meat slicer. I have used some crappy,crappy old meat slicers and they are still faster than trying to cut consistently paper thin sheets with a knife. I have sliced pancetta and prosciutto with a knife before, and sure you can, but I really think the answer here, in a commercial setting at least, is to service the deli slicer. 7 years old is a baby for restaurant equipment! Put in a request for service to your chef. I know some guys who would stab you for trying to cut a leg of prosciutto by hand.

But, to answer the actual question. Yes, a Sujihiki is a slicing knife, its sole job is making paper thin slices of product.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:50 am 
Site Admin

A meat slicer is faster unless you are only doing a small amount and you include break down and cleaning the slicer. If you're doing a lot of slicing during the day a meat slicer wins for efficiency. My first job was as a dish washer at a steak house and cleaning that damn meat slicer every day toward the end of the shift was a pain in the ass.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:01 pm 

Prosciutto has a long history of being cut by hand. Then someone invented the meat slicer. History can bugger off.

Mark, I feel for past you. My kitchens have always had a running rule that, if you dirty it, you clean it. Particularly the slicer.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:51 pm 

umberto - can a suji yes, any knife can, but you will get very tired of it very fast..
first step, whats wrong with the slicer??? have you ever sharpend the blade... most have a sharpener built in at the top of the blade (usually) its very easy to do, is the blade cover offset... sometimes a couple of cheap washers can be used to level it back to normal so it doesn't sound like its grinding metal... is the sliding mechanisim sticky hard to push... clean it up and use some food grad mineral oil on it... lots of guys lube it up w pan spray and then gets gummed up and doesn't work well...
if none of these are the root of problems and its a motor or electrical thing than u gonna have to get it serviced.. or bite the cost and buy the crapy presliced stuff...
meat slicer is an invaluable tool for a high volume place... saves a lot of money and time but alas you do need to give it a little tlc every once in a while

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:07 pm 

100% everything cheffiec said. Slicers are simultaneously a huge pain and a major time saver. They need to be taken care of, especially sharpened occasionally. Most have a little sharpener attachment that you can uncover and slide against the blade. I can gaurentee that will improve your life substantially.

You can use a Suji or really any longish knife(chef, petty) to cut prosciutto, you just won't do it as well as the slicer will

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:26 am 

I can't imagine you're gonna get the kind of slices you'd want with freehanding, Suji or otherwise. I worked for an upscale Italian grocery for years and they always emphasized that proscuitto should be so thin, it melts on your tongue. Plus, you get a lot more mileage out of each ham. I also think you'd dull the hell out of your Suji cutting any significant amount of slices.

A guy who services slicers can sharpen the blade, no sweat. It'll make your life a lot easier in the long run!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:25 pm 

Me and meat slicers.... One of my first jobs many years ago eventually turned into being an assistant manager of a pizza place. The owner took a week vacation. The day before he came back, I had everyone doing clean-up and maintenance, trying to make the place look good. I had someone sharpen the meat slicer. When I checked it later, you could hold your finger on the running edge with no penetration. So I got busy with a whetstone. I slipped and the blade went into my knuckle, exposing bone. I went to the sink to run water over my hand and the next thing I remember was laying on an emergency room bed getting stitches in my forehead. A couple of other employees figured I should go to the emergency room and they dropped me twice getting to their car. One stitch in the finger, five on my forehead, a concussion and a lesson learned. I just don't remember what it was :-)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:19 am 
Forum Moderator

Sharpen the slicer. I've sharpened them with a Shapton pro 320 grit stone. Let the motor do the work. You will wear the hell out of your stone so use the side and expect a shorter stone by the time you get done. And be careful. I use some of my cut Shapton Pros for the task. The GlassStones are too thin and you will damage them doing this task. The stone that comes with it is sometimes missing.

The steel on those blades are pretty abrasion resistant.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:54 am 

Good tip Ken!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]