It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:28 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Buying Takeda blind. Help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:41 pm 

Alright, I never buy knives without at least handling them first, but I am head over heels for the Takeda 240 aogami super kiritsuke.

I've heard all the great reviews and watched all the videos, but, truth be told, I need to know the real downsides of owning a Takeda. I'm a push/pull cutter, I have fairly large hands, I'm right handed, I'd be using it for prep only, and I care for all my knives extremely well.

Please no blatant slander. I want honesty so I can prepare for the downfalls of owning this knife. Thanks again.

Post subject: Re: Buying Takeda blind. Help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:51 pm 

Forgot to add, my prep sessions last up to five hours, five to six days a week. I work the line too but prefer stainless and have knives for that (that I wouldn't mind abusing due to the fast pace of my line). I'm very decent with the stones as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:08 pm 
Forum Moderator

Too flat a profile to be a good prep knife IMHO.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:23 pm 

I like flat profiled knives, but is it that flat? It looked like it had a tiny belly towards the tip

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Each of Takeda's knives are at least somewhat unique. I've seen several of his kiritsuke gyuto's and all of them were too flat for me to use as a main knife. That's not to say they wouldn't work perfectly for you though. It would be about like using a 225mm nakiri IMHO.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:38 pm 

There are no downsides to owning a Takeda. There have been some complaints about recent grinds, but that's about all I've heard. I tried one of his early Nakiri's and it was awesome.
I preferred the symmetry and profile over some other $600 knives at the same shop. Go with what you think will work for you. There are many dudes who use Kirisuke's for all kinds of stuff; that's the whole point behind the design of the knife. Nakiri's are vegetable prep knives as well, and they're notoriously flat. I love flat profiles for makin' it all the way through skins...especially under speed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:14 am 
Forum Moderator

The handle may be a bit in the small side if you have larger hands. I find many wa handles are too small for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:24 am 

Adam, that actually sounds amazing to me. I use my santokus and nakiris religiously for prep but they're just too short. I use my chefs knife too (sharpest knife ive got),but its just got too much belly for me to use all the time.

As for the handle issue, I like them all. Big handles small handles thick, short, I'm not picky. Ive always been able to figure out a grip.

Thanks again guys. You've helped me solidify my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:53 am 

Have Takeda Banno 170mm and a Takeda Banno Petit 140mm, best knives I have! One problem I have is with papaya, seems to rust as you are using it, Comes off easily with bar keepers helper though. Home cook, wipe dry and coat with olive oil when finished using. I use these only for fruit and veg prep. After using these, what I thought was a "good" knife feels like a butter knife.....I do not let anyone use them, not because I don't want to, but because they are so sharp and light most people used to wester knives and not av "knife" person will cut themselves.....ask me how I know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

Price is a downside to some. Also, if you have others in your family that don't like to wipe of the blades they can rust on the edge.

I own his gyuto which some find too tall. I love sharpening his knife. The thing takes a wicked edge with ease and it cuts great and looks cool too.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next