It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brunch
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:24 pm 

I don't use buttermilk or yogurt (very LI wife), so the batter is pretty PH neutral. Flour, BP, sugar, cinnamon, butter, eggs, soy milk, and vanilla. I still have a touch left and I was called out tonight to avoid more overtime, so I think I'll try knocking together a sugar syrup or puree and adding it in, maybe use some calvados I have floating around for a more interesting flavor. Frankenbatter will live this evening!

I've had dragon fruit a few times and like it, but I've never had it in dessert form. I can't agree more that a delicate hand will help. And I love granita, but haven't made it myself since culinary school. Your granita/fruit presentation looks like a real winner, very aesthetically pleasing. The thought of adding tarragon has me a little leery, but by god I'm open to experimenting and I know better than to doubt superior experience. This summer is shaping up to be my experimental frozen dessert phase.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:16 am 

YOU SAID THE EVIL SIX LETTER B WORD! HOW DARE YOU?!

hates brunch... hates it. evil evil bruncheses. try and trick Panko. Not breakfast, not lunch. Pain in ass to work. Bad brunchesses bad, evil!

Ok. I'm better now.

Looks great!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:53 am 

Ready for a flashback?

Quick, Panko, the hollandaise broke! I need five orders on the fly!

Can you do that without eggs?

What do you mean you don't have hash browns? They told me you had hash browns!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:20 am 

Lepus wrote:Ready for a flashback?

Quick, Panko, the hollandaise broke! I need five orders on the fly!

Can you do that without eggs?

What do you mean you don't have hash browns? They told me you had hash browns!

I make a gallon of Bearnaise for service every night. It is by hand too because when we use a blender or burr mixer it doesn't gratinais on the Oyster Rockefeller and just breaks and looks bad. No flashbacks of Hollandaise on the fly. I still live it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:10 pm 

Haven´t read this topic.

my girl had a waffle orgasm at bouchon at Las Vegas. she has been trying to find that high again.

i dont know if he uses yeast or baking powder. id like to know. i suppose yeast, i had a bite. but it was two years ago.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:16 pm 

I did in fact remake these whipping the whites and added a touch of cointreau and sugar. Worked like a charm. Best waffle I've ever had.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:21 am 

How about prickly pear cactus fruit? Here in CA they are pretty common but the lazy fat Americans just don't like all the labor required to get such wonderful fruit. They do make some good natural puree's on the market. I think the prickly pear would make for good sorbet.

I'd like to try dragonfruit. It looks like a chore to peel and prepare.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:58 am 

Now I need a waffle iron...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:30 pm 

Dragon fruit is easy enough. Once the skin is gone, all of the flesh is edible. I've seen it halved and scooped like an avocado.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:38 am 
Forum Moderator

LEPUS <> I'm glad it worked out, well.

UMBERTO <> Cactus Pears work well; albeit a delicate profile like the Dragonfruit. Also, dragonfruit peel as easily as a banana... no chore.. none. You can score in 1/4's & peel it like a banana to keep it whole, or if pieces are ok, 1/4 it lengthwise & then peel.

PANKO <> That's an interesting issue you're experiencing. Obviously, any hollandaise is going to break in direct heat, but if you're gratináis, the bread crumb should eat the butter and toast well. I can't imagine actually seeing sauce, broken or not, if it has a bread crumb crust. A glacage of folded hollandaise, mornay, & soft peak cream will glaze perfectly, but if you're using breadcrumb as a crust, it might be too much. I'm actually very interested in your issue.

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next