It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Borosilicate Rod out of stock.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

What can you tell me of the status of the HandAmerican Borosilicate Honing Rod 12"? In particular, when is it expected to be back in stock (or has this product been discontinued)?

Thank you.

Andre'

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Borosilicate Rod out of stock.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andre'

The maker has difficulty producing them and he usually only sends me 5-6 at a time. Once we get them people buy them fast so they always appear to be out of stock.

This Mac black ceramic rod is in stock and I like it:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/mac-black ... g-rod.html

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
www.chefKnivesToGo.com
(608) 232-1137

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for both the response and for adding it to your forums.

Perhaps a few more requirement may help.

-The length really needs to be 12” since some of my knives are 10” long and I’d like a safety factor to prevent “bottoming out” prior to completing stroke.

-I use Mag bars for my knives and while I understand there isn’t any magnetic materials on either a glass or ceramic rod, I will likely be hanging it by the knives (probably via a 3M hook or something). That said, I really want there to be a nice sheath for cosmetic/protective reasons (in case I end up putting it in a drawer after all).

-A “roll resistant” free design is pertinent (I like that the handle was notched to prevent roll-off for example).

-while not critical, I’d like it to have the rubber end protector (ideally one I can later remove should my technique better enable me to free hand it a little more).

-The blades are Shun Ken Onions with VG-10 with Hardness of circa 60-61 (will not consider steel as a material for the rod).

- I’m not keen about a coarse side via the use of grooves. If it were more of a highly visible, lower grit range perhaps that may be different – the visibility being to better error proof it’s use or avoidance as appropriate, especially since I’m not the only user of my knives.

Any thoughts?

PS: When do you expect the next batch of the glass rods to arrive (you said they usually come in batches of 5-6) and is there a way you can reserve one for me when one does arrive?

PPS: You mentioned a preference for the MAC, what knives do you use it for?

Thank you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Have you thought about getting a strop instead of a rod? I usually only recommend rods to pro cooks that need something durable and easy to use. Personally I almost exclusively use strops myself and lots of my knife nut friends do too. Strops are easier on your edges and you can get a more accurate and fine touch up job without risking micro chipping your edges.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

I’ve not.

Being at work at the moment, I don’t have much time to do a lot of research in this new avenue so perhaps you can help. A cursory review of your website presented a great deal of options and frankly, I know far too little about strops to know where to begin.

Would I expect to have to spend more time swiping a strop vs a rod? A few strokes I’m ok with but if I’m having to spend 30min stropping (or asking my GF to do same), it won’t get the necessary buy-in.

With all the options that you have, are there any that you recommend?

Are they to be used loose (like that for a straight blade razor) or on a surface (you seem to have some magnetic back ones for example)?

Is it something that I can just mount to the side of a surface instead (like a wall)?

Will the strop need any special maintenance to care for it? The rod, I understand is fairly maintenance free, save for maybe cleaning off metal deposits that build-up over time, which I also understand to be fairly cosmetic anyway.

Thank you for all your help Mark.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Andre',

Stropping is easy and when I strop it usually takes me less than a minute.

Balsa and boron carbide is my current favorite but there are lots of combinations that work. I really like nano cloth and diamond spray too. There are lots of others and most work.

You can use the balsa strop and stick it on something magnetic like a steel stove top or a bread pan but you can also get a magnetic base that we sell which is what it's designed for. It's up to you.

I usually keep the strop in the plastic bag it comes in but that's about it.

Check out video #12 in my knife sharpening series here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/knshforne1.html

Watch my buddy Shaun strop with balsa and chromium oxide here: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/choxd4oz.html

Feel free to come on and ask some more questions. That's why we did this forum.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I've noticed that the HandAmerican borosilicate rod has been out of stock for a while now. Do you have an idea of if or when you'll be receiving more? I contacted the manufacturer a month or so ago and didn't hear back, so I thought I'd try the retail end. Thanks for your help,

Dave

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dave,

We should be getting some soon. I'll update this thread when we get more. Kieth makes these by hand and they're difficult and slow to make so we're always behind demand on them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]