It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:32 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Boron Carbide on balsa and leather different?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:48 pm 

I got the balsa strop with boron carbide for the EP a week or two ago. I can touch the surface with my finger and nothing comes off on my finger. I have been using it quite a bit. I got a bottle of boron carbide a few days ago and put it on some of the honing leather I got from this site yesterday. Today I can touch the surface of the leather and there is a powder substance that wipes off. I wiped the leather a little with toilet paper and it looks like I could wipe most of it off if I wanted to (but I didn't). I also had put the BC on some horse hide I already had and I get the powder substance on my finger when wiping it also.

Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? Can't imagine what but I never know. If I wipe it off with a cloth until my finger stays clean will there still be enough BC on the surface to work?

Any help is appreciated.

Jack

Post subject: Re: Boron Carbide on balsa and leather different?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:48 pm 

Great question. I'm curious about the different end edge results of the sprays on the different substrates too.

As for the retention or lack of you are describing, I'm guessing that the balsa is more porous and will hold on to the particles better than the leathers?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:02 am 

Since no one has chimed in I thought I'd do a little googling and found:

http://sharpeningstonereviews.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/stropping-substrates/

and

http://jeffpeachey.wordpress.com/tag/knife-sharpening/

Hope you find something in helpful in there jack.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:54 pm 

Thanks Paradox, both of those links were very informative.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:06 am 
Forum Moderator

Ok guys:

I use HA BC on horse leather, with the shiny side sanded away to a reasonably smooth/roughish surface.

Apply BC generously (yeah, yeah I know people say just a wee drop - I like my way) and wipe off excess - leave overnight to dry.

I find the above the best for in between stones maintenance.

Provides a lovely balance between "bite & push cut pleasure".

I have used, & still have many bottles of all the other compounds - however for my practical application, nothing beats the above - simple, effective & quick - works well on high Rc steel as well.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:51 am 

MR, have you tired the Nanocloth strop yet? I have one but have not used it yet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:00 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes, and the roo, with 0.025µ poly diamond + all the rest.

Hopelessly too over refined!

For a practical working knife anything finer than 1µ is overkill & actually degrades performance.

I used to be a super refine it anal OCD type sharpener - have 30k stones - only use them for putting a mirror on a relief.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:51 am 

MadRookie wrote:Yes, and the roo, with 0.025µ poly diamond + all the rest.

Hopelessly too over refined!

For a practical working knife anything finer than 1µ is overkill & actually degrades performance.

I used to be a super refine it anal OCD type sharpener - have 30k stones - only use them for putting a mirror on a relief.

Are there situations where a more refined edge (finer than 1 micron) is necessary? I'm thinking a sergeon's scalple. Of course I don't sharpen scalples, just trying to get a better idea of when to use finer than 1 micron. I've used the BC and love it. I've also continued with .5 and .25 micron sprays. They seem to get the edge sharper and less toothy. I'm basing this on how easy they slice through phone book paper. I sharpen mostly EDC pocket knives or fixed blades. Normally I would prefer a slightly toothy edge on EDC knives. For kitchen knives my understanding is that a toothy edge is preferred for slicing tomatoes (getting through the skin) and vegetables. How about meat though? What type of edge is better for meat?

I think I'm going to need to finish a few blades with different grits and try them myself. Normally wife cooks but I'll need to do some cutting to appreciate what I'm doing to the edges. I've paid attention to edges cutting cardboard, small limbs and anything you may come across for EDC knives. But I don't know much about using kitchen knives. Since I don't have much to go on as far a edge angle my kitchen knife set is sharpened at 30 deg inclusive. So that will be the same for my "testing". Prior knowledge on what chef's
prefer for different tasks would be helpful as well as just plain interesting.

Thanks for any help anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

My EDC (Benchmade Barrage 581 M390) is sharpened to 1k GS.

My Gyuto progression: 500# GS then jump to 8k GS to refine teeth slightly - better slicer.

My parer progression : 500# GS then jump to 16k GS to refine teeth slightly - better push cutter.

The above 2 stone progression is so efficient & quick once the initial bevels are set.

I use it on all my knives now.

Now if only I could get my hands on some 2µ BC...???

30 degrees inclusive is a good average for a decent steel kitchen knife - excepting more heavy duty units like a Deba.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:34 pm 

MadRookie wrote:My EDC (Benchmade Barrage 581 M390) is sharpened to 1k GS.

My Gyuto progression: 500# GS then jump to 8k GS to refine teeth slightly - better slicer.

My parer progression : 500# GS then jump to 16k GS to refine teeth slightly - better push cutter.

The above 2 stone progression is so efficient & quick once the initial bevels are set.

I use it on all my knives now.

Now if only I could get my hands on some 2µ BC...???

30 degrees inclusive is a good average for a decent steel kitchen knife - excepting more heavy duty units like a Deba.

Thanks MR. Right now I have the 500, 2k and 6k GS. I'm going to get the 8k sometime soon, definately after the holidays. Grandson will be 3 in Jan. First year he will really appreciate Christmas presents. This is fun and will repeat itself for many years I hope. :D Toy's R Us will get money till the end of year. :D I've decided I don't need the 16k enough to justify $60 for one stone. If I was in a better financial position cost doesn't matter when I want something (within reason) but for the moment financial position is a factor. Another thing is it seems you can duplicate grits and/or microns with a stone and a strop also. At this level of super fine grit sharpening tools I'm not completely clear on what I prefer for a given result when using a stone or a strop at the same grit rating. This brings up another question I'd like to ask.

If I have a stone and a strop both at the same grit, let's say 1 micron. When and/or why would I use one over the other, especially as the last step? What would be the difference in using the strop or using the stone using trailing strokes as the last step? It may be the difference in the difference in hardness of the sharpening surface. I don't know.

Page 1 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next