It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bob Kramer sharpening package
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:15 pm 

So this product is not on the CKTG website, however this might shed some much needed light on this product. (the bob kramer video is very popular and I'm sure many people want this kit when they first start out)

I bought this kit mainly for the sink bridge and resale of the stones to to friends who want to get into sharpening. It was on sale so I pulled the trigger about two months ago.

The kit includes:
A sink bridge
400, 1k, 5k chosera ceramic stones (like shaptons)
Nagura

The sink bridge is a nice step up from my old setup (in sink cutting board with universal stone holder)
It holds any size of stone you could get your hands on and it can change stones quickly as well. Holds them nice and secure.

If you don't have a perfectly square sink this product might not fit all that well. I had a little bit of trouble at first.
The sink bridge can also be collapsed and used as a counter mounted option with tacky feet to help keep it in place. It doesn't work all that well and I would prefer the universal stone holder with greater surface area contact with the counter. This being said on small stones sometimes you can get knuckle drag with the universal stone holder. Not with this product as it is about twice as tall.

The stones look identical to shaptons in every way except for the fact they are the size of the shapton extra thick stones. They differ in shade, starting at 400 it's black and going all the way to pure white at 10K.

These stones cut fast, just like shaptons and they don't dish quickly. With use, I believe shapton actually made these stones for chosera. They operate and feel exactly the same. This is a good thing as shaptons perform very well.

Overall I think it's a good kit to get started, but the 1k-5k jump is a little too large for me. Not sure how this stacks up in price to the shapton combo kit mark sells but if you wanted a one and done this isn't a bad idea. You just pay a lot for the brand name :)

I believe they sell the sink bridge separately. If you are looking for a decent sink bridge you could give this one a go. I like it and it works well for myself.

Post subject: Re: Bob Kramer sharpening package
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:11 am 

I always liked the looks of that sink bridge. But since I don't work over a sink I really don't have a need.

Good review!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:17 pm 

I think the sink bridge is like 75 when purchased seperatly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:18 pm 

Nmiller21k wrote:I think the sink bridge is like 75 when purchased seperatly

I think I've seen them for 60ish on sale. I think it's much more eye appealing than other bridges available.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:00 pm 

How long have you had the sink bridge? I know bamboo is more warp resistant than wood, but warping would be my biggest concern. It appears you need a screw driver to loosen the stone holder each time you want to switch stones?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:12 pm 

mark wrote:How long have you had the sink bridge? I know bamboo is more warp resistant than wood, but warping would be my biggest concern. It appears you need a screw driver to loosen the stone holder each time you want to switch stones?

It's bamboo with a heavy coat of lacquer which protects it. I wouldn't soak it in water, but I would rinse it without any qualms.

You can hand loosen and tighten the screws without any trouble. I've been using the sink bridge I would say for 5ish sharpening sessions over a month+ period of time. Can't say there is any signs of warping.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:08 am 

The sink bridge looks nice. Tried some of the stones. Did not like them compared to the Shapton Pros or the Stock Choseras. They just feel really soft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:08 am 

chefbartley wrote:The sink bridge looks nice. Tried some of the stones. Did not like them compared to the Shapton Pros or the Stock Choseras. They just feel really soft

Never tried choseras or shapton pros, they feel the same as regular shaptons to me, maybe a tad bit softer for the 1k. I wouldn't say I love em, but I would say they get the job done fine.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]