It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Billing Address
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

I doubt this will help since most of you guys get this right but we get about 15% of our orders with non matching billing address.

The billing address field is used to help prevent fraud. When you place an order it gets sent to the credit card company and it checks your address against it's records. If the billing address is correct they verify this to us with a simple pass or fail for both your address and your zip code. So as you can see in the picture we segment out all the ones with NN and put them aside. We then run all the orders that are YY or Yes Yes and those get processed right away.

When we're done with all the good orders we run the NN orders and then go through them one by one to see if they are potential thefts. We've been doing this for 12 years so it's pretty easy to spot the non thieves from the potential thieves but as you can see you are getting your order processed last. Then we are left with maybe 1 or 2 that we will hold and call and verify by phone before we ship them.

Check it out:

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Billing Address
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:42 pm 
Site Admin

You can see this was my second run of orders this morning. The first 170 were run and I was left with this mess of NN (column B).

At this point I'm going to run the rest of the good ones (column A) that you can see are checked and ready to be charged and packing slips generated. After that they get picked and off they go. All the other NNs sit until we're done usually in the afternoon but sometimes the next day. NN orders also are shit out of luck if we run out of something since we pick them last.

So, the moral of this story is: Put the correct billing address on your order. It will speed your order and increase your chances of getting your order filled.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:23 pm 

Mark, if we place an order with a shipping address different than the billing; for example if shipping to a business rather than the home billing address as listed. Will that also send up a flag and delay shipping?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:32 pm 

It is my under standing that only the Billing Address and Billing Zip Code have to match what's on file with the card to be approved. The shipping address doesn't come into play. Mark can verify if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:45 pm 

How do nicknames play into this? Is your name considered part of the billing address?

My credit card has my legal name, as an example, John Doe. My nickname is Doug. If I put Doug Doe in the billing address, is the order flagged as NN?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

Yes the billing address is only used for fraud prevention. They only look at the number of your street and the zip code number to verify.

So if you're cc billing address is your home, put that in as your bill to. Then you can use the shipping address to ship it to your work and there will be no delay.

One of the most frequent NN instances is when people ship stuff to work and don't enter the proper billing address.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:55 pm 

Bikeman wrote:Mark, if we place an order with a shipping address different than the billing; for example if shipping to a business rather than the home billing address as listed. Will that also send up a flag and delay shipping?

hmm, i'm curious to this as well. I usually ship to my work address but my billing address is home.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:28 am 
Forum Moderator

What about when the guys send me stuff direct from you? Does that cause a flag?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:42 am 

As long as billing addresses check out with the credit card company they can ship to the shipping address as long as it is somewhere they ship.

Think about gift purchases from anywhere to your great aunt Bertha. Does Amazon call to verify if you have the billing info correct and matching to your card?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:56 pm 

Panko wrote:As long as billing addresses check out with the credit card company they can ship to the shipping address as long as it is somewhere they ship.

Think about gift purchases from anywhere to your great aunt Bertha. Does Amazon call to verify if you have the billing info correct and matching to your card?

Some merchants will refuse to ship unless the shipping address is also on file with the credit card company as an alternate address. (Although this was more common back in the "early" days of web shopping)

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next