It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:44 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best sharpener for Tojiro?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:41 pm 

Hi,

i purchased a Tojiro DP Gyuto 240mm about 2 months ago and now need it sharpened. What is the best quick and convenient sharpener? Is there a better option than the Tojiro pro roll sharpener? I'm a complete knife novice without the time to devote to whet stones. By the way, I absolutely love the Tojiro- thanks!

Thanks,

Alan

Post subject: Re: Best sharpener for Tojiro?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

Hey Alan, glad to see you like your Tojiro. I always tell people... if you want a Shun, but for real professional use.... get a Tojiro DP, no question about it.

Since you don't want to devote the time to hand sharpening, I'll make this quick and easy for you. Minosharp 3-stage ceramic: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/glmipl3sh.html

If you want to spend slightly less, they make a 2 stage version as well. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/glmishpl.html

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:08 pm 

can't really escape using sharpening stones. they're the most versatile. unless you wanna get one of those takeda's hand held sharpeners. they're easier to use as you lay the knife flat on an edge of a surface then you angle the stone to the knife. there's a youtube video on how to use takeda's hand helds.

it won't get your knife as sharp as other stones as there are only two grits available, 250 and 1000. but it's a nice good one for everyday type of stuff. still better than the pull through stuff imho.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:25 pm 

I bought one of the Takeda handhelds and found it to be a waste of money. Mark told me he thought the grits were 600/1200. Regardless, I couldn't get a very good edge with it and the stones dished horribly. It was quickly demoted to garden tool sharpening until it wears out.
Better off using the money to buy a good 1k stone and use it to start to freehand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:54 am 

freehand it is then. lol.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]