It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:46 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Best Japanese blad type for chopping/dicing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 pm 

I have a small Shun Classic chef's knife that is great for slicing, but not best for chopping and dicing (veggies and nuts). I am trying to figure out what type of blade is best for chopping and dicing. I currently have a Henckels 8" chef knife, but it is a bit heavy and does not easily rock without almost have to kick up the whole blade from the board. I think I am looking for a blade type with the curbed front?

Anyway, any help is appreciate, as well as brand. Some considerations:

1. I do not like the aesthetics of Global's handles. Wood, need wood.

2. I am a sharpening geek, with a finer edge on my Shun that they get in their shop, so I want a good blade that will reward efforts.

Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Best Japanese blad type for chopping/dicing
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

Skip - can you help us out a bit and answer the questions in the recommendations topic at the top of this forum? Just give us the things you haven't already answered. It gives everyone more info for recommendations :-).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:10 pm 

Okay, here goes...

1. Are you right handed? No. (that would mean, left-handed!)
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..) I think Nakiri, but that is the question.
3. What size knife are you looking for? I assume they are between 6-8"
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel? Carbon
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle? Prefer Japanese, but not too particular. I don't want the heavy handles you find on Henckels, etc.
6. How much did you want to spend? <$150
7. Do you know how to sharpen? Yes. I sharpen down to 12,000 grade whetstone.

My question is whether the nakiri is best for chopping veggies. I thought I wanted the rocking motion, but am learning more about the downward motion of the nakiri, which might be better. i may just use my Henckels 8" chef for chopping nuts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:45 pm 

Excellent Nakiri for the price that will get incredibly sharp!

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gona16.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:53 pm 

Well.....

I have to comment on this; just picked up this for my sister-in-law, gave it to her on Saturday night.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kostna18.html

See my post here: need-some-quick-help-t4427.html
to see my thoughts and some pics.

For some crazy reason, Mark has this on sale for $159, it would be pretty hard to beat this one.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Skip - Nakiris are popular for chopping veggies, but they do have a very flat edge profile. If you like to rock a bit, a Santoku usually has a bit of belly (normally not a lot, but more than most Nakiris). The tip on the Santoku lends itself to more versatility IMO. Don't discount a good 210mm Gyuto - they are supremely versatile.

Here are some Santoku recommendations:

Kohetsu Santoku 180mm (Great performer - Stainless over AS carbon)
Moritaka Supreme Santoku 170mm (I just got this knife and it's a really great performer - thin, light, nicely crafted, cuts like a son-of-a-gun, pretty flat edge profile with enough belly to make rocking easy w/o too much lift).
Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Santoku 165mm (Completely reactive blade, as is the Moritaka, great grinds, thin at the edge)
Goko Santoku 165mm (great knives)

Gyuto recommendations:

Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Gyuto 210mm (same great qualities as Santoku)
Kohetsu Gyuto 210mm
Goko Gyuto 210mm (awesome knife)

I'm sure there are more.

Edit - just saw Todd's post. That Kono Nakiri is awesome for the price!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:02 pm 

I'm not clear on stainless versus carbon. I am a gold sharpener but do the non stainless steels react with acidic veggies like tomato?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:14 pm 

Skip60` wrote:I'm not clear on stainless versus carbon. I am a gold sharpener but do the non stainless steels react with acidic veggies like tomato?

Yes, but not all steels (and even the same steels between different makers) will be the same in how quickly they react. Typically with a carbon steel you will want to keep a towel handy to wipe the blade down. Some steels you will want to wipe between ingredients (like moving from onions to tomatoes to potatoes) and some you can wait until you are done cutting before cleaning the knife and drying. I have a cheap Chinese cleaver I rarely use because I have to wipe it down while cutting the same ingredient... it's way too reactive which is a shame because it takes a hair splitting edge easily. On the other hand I have white #1 knives that I only have to wipe down if I will not be using them for a minute or so and if I use them constantly I can wait until I'm done to wash and dry them.

I think with the majority of the carbon knives on the CKtG site you would be fine just wiping the blade when you switch ingredients.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

They can, yes. Most good carbon steels will develop a protective layer of oxidation called a patina in response to cutting acidic foods and also meat. This makes them less reactive, but all carbon steels need to be cleaned and dried right after using, or rust can form on the blade or parts of the blade where carbon steel is exposed. Proper care is not that difficult, but you must develop a habit of not letting a knife sit with moisture on it too long. How long? It depends on the steel and the knife maker. Some steels react very quickly, some not so much.

The knives that we're recommending (the Kono is stainless) have steel that's not too reactive, especially once you get a decent patina on it. Stainless clad, carbon steel cored knives are a compromise with the carbon steel exposed only at the cutting edge. You can also buy semi-stainless knives like the Kikuichi TKC and Konosuke HD2 line. If you keep up modest care of the blade and clean/dry after using, they are essentially stainless in practice. (The semi-stainless that is...)

Darnit Def - you type too fast :-).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:17 am 

Okay, courtesy of the education gained in this site and elsewhere, here is my list of considerations, so i welcome specific brand recommendations:

1. Nakiri
2. stainless or hybrid blade (not a carbon that would easily rust or tarnish)
3. Not sure about hardness, but need a blade that will allow me to sharpen a couple of times a year, take and hold a great edge.
4. Aesthetically, I tend to like a more finished handle (dark or light() but not the unfinished look of some handles
5. Price not to exceed $150.

Ideas welcome.

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next