It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: best edge retention
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:39 pm 

good to hear everyones input..

just watched kohetsu hap40 videos from mark and mr knife fanatic... this knife looks awesome!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:51 pm 

Melampus wrote:PANKO <> I agree it was a specific question (i.e., "what knife?"). The question I see is not, "what steel"; not even "what knives"... it is "what knife".

As always - I'm contentedly alone on an island, but I interpret answering a steel type in this context not quite apples to oranges, but ambiguous at best. Takamura's SG2 is different than Saji's SG2 is different than Kamo's SG2 is different than Tanaka's SG2, etc. I'm not the OP, but steel types do not answer the presented question. If I were posing the query and received said answer, obviously it creates the same damn question... around & around & around.
"Oh. SG2/M390/COWRY/ZDP, eh? Well which knife maker's rendition of those do you regard highest as I know invariably that how a steel is treated is almost more important than the steel itself?" Or as it was originally queried, "...what knife [do] you regard as holding a great edge for the longest time?"

DESOL <> As your fellow self-proclaimed pragmatist, efficiency is most always paramount to me... thus my originally succinct answer.

I was relatively impressed by the OP's verbiage. He never asked what was best as you extrapolate; he asked what we thought held an edge longest. Yes, "great" is absolutely subjective, but he's not seemingly asking about the edge potential as much as he's asking about edge retention, and even then choosing the descriptor longest, albeit subjective, it's graded on a personal scale whereas one would know their own 5 days as to their own 7 days.

That said, I can't argue that my ramblings are worth anymore than a pair of pennies. 8-)

Semantics. If I had to answer it again, I'd answer it the same way. ;) I prefer open ended, mostly non-subjective answers that allow people to think and choose...rather than being led.

Thanks to Mark for pointing out the knife that has THE longest edge retention on the site. :D

I do enjoy making Melampus type tho... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:25 pm 
Forum Moderator

Of all the knives I've tried over time.....that HAP40 prototype held the best edge.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:45 pm 

The Kamo R2 seems to have the best edge retention of the knives that I have used. What surprised me about the steel is given its hardness it is relatively easy to sharpen. It responds well to a 6k stone and stropping. I have not used the HAP40 yet but based on other input and higher hardness it probably will be a little better at edge holding.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:18 am 

Being a home cook and loving to sharpen knives I could give a $hit about wear resistance. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:21 am 

Me too. I like touching up knives...

However, I bought someone close an SLD knife, and I noticed the significant edge retention...and good sharpness.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:45 am 

Jeff I agree with you totally, I use a different knife every day. It is just fun to get these suckers wicked shaving sharp . No pun intended but it hones your sharpening skills and the different steels all respond differently. Each have their own personality. BB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:21 am 

That wasn't the question tho, to some people edge retention is a major factor when spending money on a knife. Sorry to be a stick in the mud...
But wear resistance has everything to do with edge retention.

Steels like HAP40 and ZDP189 have excellent wear resistance, which is more the point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:03 am 

And the point some of us were making is we are not worried about it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:17 am 

And my point was, the OP is...and many others are.

Page 2 of 3 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next