It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bent knife, can it be fixed?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

I have a Fujiwara gyuto FKM-09 210mm that I bought from you some time back. I recently walked in on one of my prep cooks using it to pry apart frozen chicken thighs. Well needless to say, the blast freezer won, my knife is bent, about 1 inch from the tip its bent perhaps 5 degrees give or take. Then he tried to fix it which marred the blade up something awful

Is this a repair you can handle in the shop or would I have to go directly to the manufacturer. If so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Bent knife, can it be fixed?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 pm 

I had a quick look on YouTube and the first vid was one done by Mark himself. lol

Oh yeah, if it is an inch away from the tip, you might want to use a book or something a bit more stiff than your hand and that won't hurt if it gets cut by the knife. lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:51 pm 

I you have access to a vice, I would put the tip between two pieces of wood near the bend and clap it in a vice. VERY CAREFULLY try to straighten it by pushing on the blade near the spine. Start with very light pressure and check frequently. I doubt it will ever be perfect but with some straightening and a little grinding you may be able to hide it pretty well while making it functional again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:26 am 

Send it to Murray Carter. He'll make it better...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

It's difficult to do with some steels and especially if it's bent near the tip. The problem with sending it to Murray is he'll charge you more than the knife costs. Since it's a cheap knife I would just try your best to straighten it and if you can't make it work replace the knife.

Also you can make the knife a little more malleable by dipping it in near boiling water. Takeda does that when he's straightening his knives.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:20 am 

That hot water trick is a new one for me---will have to remember it

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]