It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:49 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Belt Sharpening
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:44 pm 

Am looking into this, a la the Kalamazoo 1x42 machine. Wondering if anyone uses this, pros and cons, sharpness, etc.?

Thanks.

Rich

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Post subject: Re: Belt Sharpening
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Never used a Kalamazoo, but it is the go-to sharpening machine on a lot of forums. Price is very reasonable and performance is top notch.

I use my belt sander for a lot of knives. It's a nice option that's fast and once you get the hang of it, very easy to do.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

Get a harbor freight 1x30, much cheaper. Mine has been going for over 10 years now!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:23 pm 

I love the Kalamazoo for sharpening. With respects to taz575, it's much better than the HF. I have two of them and both became doorstops once I had the Kalamazoo. The problems I had with the HF were the blazing speed of the belt and a general looseness of tolerances (ie wobble). The Kalamazoo runs at around 1/2 the speed of the HF. There are also a lot more belts available in the 1" x 42" size. The HF will definitely get the job done but if you can afford it the Kalamazoo is simply a better machine.

Pros include very fast belt changes. All you do is press down on the top pulley and take the belt off. You can change belts in a few seconds. The Kalamazoo is also very smooth and very quiet in operation. For the price it has few cons. One is that the platen could be designed better but it sounds like new models may be shipped with Mark's new-and-improved version.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:42 pm 

What would you recommend for belts? Source? I guess something like 120, 220, 320, 600, 800, 1200, leather? Too much, not enough? I don't mind spending, just hate throwing away...........

Rob, thanks, hope this rabbit hole isn't as deep as the last one you got me into............(EP) :)

We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........

Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:09 am 

I dont recall how I found out about the site but leevalley.com has a decent selection of belts. I am in love with the 3m trizact belts. The perform very well and they will last way longer than most belt IMHO.

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:47 am 
Forum Moderator

I can get the 1x30 belts at a local hardware store easily and there are a ton of 1x30 belts available online, including felt and leather belts. I remove the dust cover for faster belt changes and my harbor freight doesn't give me any tracking, wobble or speed issues, even with cheap belts. I also have a Grizzly 2x72 for grinding blades as well and a custom built 1x30 and I still use the HF. For the price of $50 for the harbor freight vs $280 for the Kalamazoo, the HF fits much better into most peoples budgets and works just fine. I've used it for around 10 years for sharpening and handle shaping without any problems. Not everyone wants to drop $280 on a belt sander just to sharpen knives with!! Maybe mine is better than the newer ones because it is older, but I haven't had any issues with it at all.

Belts: 80 (only for deep chips/nicks), 120, 220, 400 and leather or felt belt with buffing compound should take care of most of your sharpening needs. Tru Grit has a lot of belt choices

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 5:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

My harbor freight has been running strong for a year now, and it gets used a lot. I mean a whole lot!

Looked at a Kalamazoo 1 x 42, but instead getting a 2 x 72 to go with my 1 x 30 seems more logical.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:27 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have both a 1*42 and 2*72. Both are used the same amount. If I had to choose one, I would choose the 1*42. Lee valley does have a nice selection of belts.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

Do any of them have variable speed motors on them? That would seem to be a good featrure for knife sharpening.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next