It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 4 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Barkeeper's Friend making things much worse?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:39 pm 

Melampus wrote:DESOL <> I won't argue that generating a fresh slurry off a stone so as to polish some steel isn't simple. I'm simply stating that washing the mud away off a stone after a sharpening is a waste of abrasive. Agreed, it has some steel in the swarf, but I've yet to realize any negative effect from it when utilizing it for stropping or as uchimugori powder.

Hey, whatever works man! :) It's all good... When I sharpen my knives it's so fast and there's such a small amount of slurry used, that saving it is pointless for me. Saving the slurry from flattening however is another story.

At some point, I am going to order a bigger Coticule from Maruice at Ardennes, and a few more slurry stones, and some boxes, etc. Some of that powder from Mark would be nice to try to, just cause. I tried like hell to get some for the longest time, until I had the bright idea of trying the goop from my stone, which then turned out to be the same thing as the Uchimugori anyway (more or less). Funny how things like that turn out...

Anyway...it's all good, as long as your getting the results you want.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:43 am 

So I guess I'm going to start with a baking soda scrub using a cheapo sponge and then if that's unsuccessful onto using the Scotch Brite Blue non-scratch scrubby.

Won't get around to this til tomorrow afternoon/evening when I get home and had a few final questions so I can jump on it when I get in.

1. Obviously I'm still going to wet the knife and work up a slurry with the baking soda right? Pouring a decent yet conservative amount of baking soda on the blade when wet? Or should I just mix a healthy amount of baking soda and maybe an ounce or so of water in a bowl, then apply that to the sponge/scrubby and then apply that to the wet knife?

2. Am I using straight heel to tip strokes? Or spine to edge?

3. In relation to question 3, I don't want to make swirls or circles, at least with a scrubby if it comes to that, correct?

4. What type of pressure should I be applying while scrubbing?

5. Once I get done, assuming successful rust removal, just a quick soap and warm water wash, thorough drying, then light mineral oil coat?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:48 am 

Try a wine cork with the baking soda Dave. Works very well. I just used this method moments ago on a rust spotted blade.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:01 am 

pjwoolw wrote:Try a wine cork with the baking soda Dave. Works very well. I just used this method moments ago on a rust spotted blade.

OK I can try this first.

Would you mind breaking down your specific routine for me?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:28 am 

Okay. Just for ease I use an old flour shaker and put some baking soda in it. Get a rag or dishtowel and fold it so you can lay it on the rim of a sink so it has enough give so the knife edge isn't damaged. Shake a bit of baking soda on the blade. Wet the cork. Rub the cork in circular motions over the sections of the blade that are affected with whatever your trying to remove. Rewet the cork as necessary. Add more baking soda if need be, Keep at it until you get the results your looking for. Rinse and dry. The blade may look a bit dull depending on the finish of the knife.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:43 am 

The cork and baking soda worked to get a tough water stain out of one of my knives, a little flitz to follow up and it is more polished than it was when new.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:56 am 

Nice. Thanks guys, this sounds a lot less abrasive then the blue scrubby so I'll turn to that as a last resort.

Last few questions...

1. Do I just want to run the cork under the faucet for like 10 to 20 seconds, or should I soak it in a cup of water for an extended period of time (5 minutes or so maybe?) before beginning?

2. Do I still wet the blade before shaking the baking soda on it?

3. I know this is subjective question, but am I applying nearly no pressure, light pressure, or relatively strong pressure(within reason) while I am scrubbing? Or is this basically completely see as I go and go by feel to the results that I am personally getting?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:01 am 

Personally, I leave the blade and baking soda dry, and dip the cork, I want the baking soda to act as an abrasive, not dissolve. As far as pressure, I don't go ham on the knife but it would know I'm scrubbing it, you know?

With the Flitz, I rub it in with a different cork until it dries, then I polish it off with a towel. Is that the best way? No idea, it is the only way I have ever used it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:06 am 

What Dan said. You won't need much pressure. Less is more. Just like sharpening. Time is your friend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:10 am 

Thanks again guys, this has been helpful and informative, tempted to try right now but I know this is going to turn into a half hour minimum type of thing and really need to go to sleep soon and I'm already unwound, don't need to wind up again right now haha.

Page 4 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next