It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Barkeeper's Friend making things much worse?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:49 pm 

I mean I'm not overly concerned with scratches, it's going to get them from sharpening if I don't polish them out anyway, I'm just concerned with deep scratches, but I'm imagining the blue will only cause light surface ones, right?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:59 am 

That's too bad to hear you're having problems Dave; one of the reasons I recommend plain stone slurry for maintenance on Japanese knives.

I've been down this road a few times already and have learned what works (for me)....all things being equal.

Soft cloth and stone slurry. Very nice knife BTW.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:03 am 

So you just work up a slurry on your stones and put some of it on the blade and polish with a soft cloth?

I haven't had the time to tackle this tonight, will be trying tomorrow most likely so still trying to absorb all the info and suggestions out there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:16 am 

Yep. Very simple and very effective for keeping your knife in it's original condition, if desired. I only use one sharpening stone, and the slurry off of it is around 8k.
It's a Belgian Coticule.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:30 am 

I only have a King combo stone 1000/6000, is the 6K of this one sufficient to try this?

Also, is this a good method for actually removing rust? Or just upkeep?

Just took a look at it again, it's just covered in rust heel to tip, I feel like I'm tripping haha.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:11 am 

Baking soda and a wine cork is why I use 90% of the time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:51 am 
Forum Moderator

DAVE <> I'm with CRUBENEW; something else is at play here. Freshly scrubbed & dried shironiko does not rust before your eyes. Are you using Bar Keepers Friend with a clean sponge, or is it a recycled sponge with let's say Comet w/bleach on it. What you're describing sounds like some type of corrosive chemical has been introduced... like chlorine.

On to DESOL's, effectively uchigumori recommendation. Working a stone to slurry so as to acquire the mud, albeit effective in harvesting clean abrasive, is a waste of stone IMO. I suggest harvesting mud/swarf when sharpening to use in your future. Not only can you use the mud to polish your steel, like done in yesteryear http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ucpo.html, but you can load a strop with it, as well, to recycle the abrasive elsewhere.

6k mud will do just fine to polish your steel... aka removing oxidation to an up kept finish.

Furthermore, how are you storing the Masamoto? In its box? In a saya? Is it/are these clean & dry. Put a perfect clean & dry KS in a damp saya & you're corroded in the morning...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:01 am 

I was worried about this as well, but it takes so very little to clean the blade, that I don't worry about it anymore. I also found that most of the wear when generating slurry actually came from the slurry stone. Whether the Coticule slurry stone is softer than my stone or not, I'm not sure.

My Coticule see's no significant wear from making a small amount of slurry to clean, and I appreciate the simplicity.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:10 am 
Forum Moderator

DESOL <> I won't argue that generating a fresh slurry off a stone so as to polish some steel isn't simple. I'm simply stating that washing the mud away off a stone after a sharpening is a waste of abrasive. Agreed, it has some steel in the swarf, but I've yet to realize any negative effect from it when utilizing it for stropping or as uchimugori powder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:39 pm 

Mel, I always make sure my blades are dry and since they're only for home use and sometimes sit I normally give them a light coating of mineral oil. No saya on the KS though, just loose in it's original box in a drawer. The light rust that was on this originally was my fault, but agree something else is at play here, got to be a chemical in the sponge.

Thanks again everyone for all help and info.

Page 3 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next