It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Barkeeper's Friend making things much worse?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:13 am 

If all else fails, skip the BKF and just rub it down with baking soda on a piece of Scotchbrite. This will passivate the steel and prevent any further reaction, or so the theory goes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:54 am 

BKF is a acid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:04 pm 

So did I overdue it with the BKF and now the knife is bound to permanently insta-rust unless I do something drastic?

I am so confused.

I really want a dead cut and dry answer and solution to this, I wish someone had it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:11 pm 

Flitz Polish will take off most of the patina and rust and leaves a light protective coating on the bade that will slow future patina. I would use this a couple times and see where your at. Your knife will still patina but slower and hopefully not rust at all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:24 pm 

OK. Also I didn't mean that to come off like I don't appreciate all the help and insight, I'm just frustrated.

On top of this, I posted that before looking at the knife again since last night and just did and now it seems like there is also patina all over the blade yet it was put away totally dry. Like nice blues and greys and a touch of some good yellowish. And I went into really bright light in my bathroom instead of the somewhat dimmer light in the kitchen and the rust looks less pronounced then it did last night and less spread overall, really only in a two or three inch long by eighth inch spot on the edge, an inch spot at most towards the spine and a little fleck here and there right at the edge of the heel. So freakin' weird.

The rust isn't and wasn't so dark it looked like it would start pitting or anything, it was just really widespread. It's hard for me too cause I'm colorblind with shades pretty bad and yet anyone I've asked to look at it has no knowledge of knives or metals and can't seem to understand or come to grips with patina so they even think the blues and greys they've also identified are rust no matter how hard I beat into their heads this is good rust lol.

I think I'm gonna give it a super light and super quick BKF scrub, immediately dry it and then immediately follow with a baking soda scrub and mineral oil lathering and see what happens and if I'm still not satisfied I'll go the Flitz route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:35 pm 

Dave Kinogie wrote:OK. Also I didn't mean that to come off like I don't appreciate all the help and insight, I'm just frustrated

I think I'm gonna give it a super light and super quick BKF scrub, immediately dry it and then immediately follow with a baking soda scrub and mineral oil lathering and see what happens and if I'm still not satisfied I'll go the Flitz route.

Lathering?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:37 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dave - I'm no expert, but the acid in BKF is one of the primary patina forming chemicals. I my experience using BKF on my stainless All-Clad cookware and on a couple of knives, you have to rinse the crap out of the object you're washing to really get every last bit of BKF residue off of there. (I'm not saying that you're not doing a thorough job rinsing :-))

I would try just baking soda and the least abrasive scrubby that will do the job, and a light coat of mineral oil to start. I've used Honda metal polish, which is similar to Flitz polish and it works great to make a blade shine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:37 pm 

Himself wrote:
Dave Kinogie wrote:OK. Also I didn't mean that to come off like I don't appreciate all the help and insight, I'm just frustrated

Lathering?

Slathering I meant lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:40 pm 

SteveG wrote:Dave - I'm no expert, but the acid in BKF is one of the primary patina forming chemicals. I my experience using BKF on my stainless All-Clad cookware and on a couple of knives, you have to rinse the crap out of the object you're washing to really get every last bit of BKF residue off of there. (I'm not saying that you're not doing a thorough job rinsing :-))

I would try just baking soda and the least abrasive scrubby that will do the job, and a light coat of mineral oil to start. I've used Honda metal polish, which is similar to Flitz polish and it works great to make a blade shine.

OK, I'll try that like you and others have suggested.

I think I was/am probably going BKF crazy lol.

How least abrasive are we talking? I have the blue "non-abrasive" Scotch Brite pads and I was warned that those won't be too bad, but will still probably leave some significant scratches. I mean they're called non-abrasive, but they sure as hell feel abrasive to the touch haha.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Dave - I guess start with baking soda and a dish cloth and go from there, up the abrasive scale. If you're worried about scratches, I'd actually start with metal polish and a soft cloth and see what that does right off the bat.

Page 2 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next