It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back in action!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:01 am 
Forum Moderator

The walnut isn't too bad. It's not stabilized, so I did a few coats of Super Glue to fill in the pores between the 400 and 600 grit steps, polished, resanded, refilled and then polished again and then added several layers of Tru Oil and then Tung Oil.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:18 am 

That's not "too bad"? This is why I like metal work... Okay so I really like the look but that sounds like a lot of work. Thanks for the info though!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:26 am 
Forum Moderator

Well, I had read about the walnut having very open pores and taking lots of coats and sanding to close them up. The stuff I had seemed to have less open pores and the super glue took care of them easily and then the Tru Oil/Tung Oil mix worked well. Open pore woods can get dust and stuff into the pores when you sand and then look dirty. This walnut didn't do that at all. I do have 1 chunk of stabilized curly walnut here, looks the same as the non stabilized stuff, but it's stabilized and the pores get filled by that process. Some woods like Ziricote, Cocobolo, Ironwood, Rosewood are naturally tight grain and don't have big pores in them to fill. Ironwood can take on a glassy look to it with a simple polish/buff more so than other woods with no oil finish on it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:51 pm 

love the black palm!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Got some more stuff done! Got a Nenox rehandled in black and white 5 layer spacer and blue burl, copper and a mosaic pin. Also got a BIG RHINO to rehandle as well. The BR is comically HUGE!!!!! I laugh when I see it; that is next to a 270mm Nenox Suji :)

270mm Nenox double bolster suji. B&W 5 layer spacer, blue maple burl. Customer wanted 3 pins, usually how Japanese Westerns are. Removed the handles, nope...2 holes. So I drill thru the middle to make a 3rd hole. Nenox used pinned bolsters with an integral liner spanning the 2 bolsters against the tang, which is a pita to work with. This one came out well; one of my tightest double bolster/handle fittings! Dark grey epoxy and dark blue handle material help hide that line :)

Richmond AS 240mm Laser w/curly maple handle from CKTG, matching Curly maple saya! The other saya is a Poplar saya for a Moritaka Damascus nakiri, clean and simple!

I finished thinning 2 Addicts for CKTG's store, thinking of a Starry Night themed handle:
Bog oak ferrule, blue burl handle:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:25 pm 

Tim do you have any handle material in burgundy and in gold or goldish color? im thinking a washington redskins themed handle .for a future rehandle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

I saw a ferrule sized chunk of gold buckeye burl in my shed today and I have a purple buckeye burl somewhere?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:00 pm 

Cool when it comes time to rehandle i wll pm you and get all the details thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:12 pm 

That BIG RHINO looks hilarious!!! Great work on the handles.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I gotta order some ironwood for it for a handle. The pieces I have here are a touch small; it needs a big, strong honking handle! I gotta get the Suji out this week; I started working day shift today (worked 3rd for like 10 years) and stayed late to finish stuff up, so I got home after the Post Office closed :(

Page 2 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next