It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Atoma 140 or 400
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:44 pm 

Sigh. Another newbie question from a real newbie.

I have decided to stop relying on others and to start sharpening my own knives. I have begun modestly with a few stones, but I will need something to keep the stones flat.

There seems to be huge support on the threads for the Atoma 140. I do not mind spending a little more for an Atoma (so much agreement that it is worth it), but buying two at this point in time would be truly foolhardy.

My first stones are in the 1k to 5k range. In the future when I find something I like (that is not sold out!) I could add a 400-500 grit stone for more serious issues. But that's the future.

From what I am reading, the Atoma 400 seems good for stones above 1k, which would be the core of my set, and the Atoma 140 for stones below 1k. But so many people here seem to adore the Atoma 140. Would the Atoma 140 still be the best bet for everything?

Thanks for any thoughts about the 140 vs the 400 for a beginner. And is this something I should acquire at the start, or budget for and add much later when I can spot dishing?

This is such a generous group! Wish me luck at freehand.....

Post subject: Re: Atoma 140 or 400
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:36 pm 

The Atoma 140 is metal eater and makes fixing broken tips easy. Either the 140 or 400 would be good. For lapping harder stones the 140 would serve as a dual purpose flattening plate and bevel setter.

The diamonds will leave a rougher deeper scratch pattern, so either way you slice it, there will be a need to have a stone for removing the diamond scratches be it a 150 or 220 grit waterstone.

If you use the Atoma 140 for stone flattening and not too much else it should last a long time. It's an expense that will pay for itself by keeping stones flat and save you less headache when trying to get uniform beautiful edges.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:24 pm 

I have both, but for stone flattening get the 140. You can use it on a knife, but as Umberto has said, it eats metal so be careful.

When you feel the need for a 400-500 grit stone, get the Atoma 400. Follow it with a 1000 stone and you'll be good.

At the moment, my setup is two Atomas - 140 and 400 - and 1000 and 6000 grit diamond stones (stones, not plates). Everything is splash and go and doesn't require any flattening.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:03 pm 

I thank you both.

I have started with a 1k Shapton Glass and a 5k Suehiro, after great help from the members here. The Atoma would be used 99% of the time for stone flattening. I could always try to hunt down a very lesser knife with real issues and see what it does. The general plan, though, until I build whatever skills I can, is to start gently and slowly. No 140 Atomas on the knives!!!

My thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:29 am 

I have to speak up for the other plates here. The caveat is that I do not own an Atoma and have not used one.

While I appreciate having the best for what we do, if a home cook doesn't plan to use a low grit stone to rework knives often, I don't think the additional cash spent on the Atoma is going to be worth it. The DMT plate is going to last an exceptionally long time, much like the Atoma, and isn't going to demonstrably degrade much faster. Likewise, the Chinese plate will do the job quite adequately at a much lower price. I personally use DMT plates and I find them to be perfectly capable even when working on a knife. I reserve the comfortable stones for refining; what I want out of a plate is very fast cutting action to be refined on the stone. While I have no doubt the Atoma is easier to use, I don't think my diamond plate, which I plan to follow and rework with a low grit stone, need be more than serviceable.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 5:10 am 

I have not used an Atoma either, I use a DMT XC, but one feature I have seen listed of the Atoma is that they do not stick to the stones the way the DMT do. I cannot vouch for whether or not the Atoma are better, but my DMT does get adhered by suction quite badly when flattening stones.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:10 am 

Once you own an Atoma you'll wonder why you ever used anything else. There is no comparison to the DMT products.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:47 pm 

Thanks, everyone. I am going back to the CKTG store site and will recheck prices and rethink this choice. It is a little tough starting at zero and trying to buy enough things to sharpen well and start the learning curve without overdoing it or breaking the bank. I don't want to omit anything that would be critical, but I don't want to be an over-buying fool!

I am great with food but not so great with tools, so much of this is new. I am just tired of (a) farming out my knives to others, or (b) living with too-dull and under-performing knives.

A little OT--but I just bought one knife from CKTG. Intentionally, it was very different from my current knives...longer, harder, thinner...you get it! I wanted to move past my comfort zone and see where this took me. This morning I cut half a batch of onions and peppers with the new knife, then the second half with an older knife. The difference in feel and performance was stunning.

Back to the topic and the sharpening. Lepus, your comment about the needs of a home cook who does not sharpen frequently are pretty accurate. I am a dedicated home cook who chops daily (morning and night!). I also teach cooking classes several times a month. In those cases I often do heavy prep at home with my own knives before leaving the house. I would never sharpen as often as any of the line cooks or other pros here on the forum.

Cedarhouse, your comments about suction against stones was interesting, and I thank Pete for his thoughtful Atoma advocacy.

If it helps, my own tendency is to buy good things and then keep them forever. Case in point--my Mercedes, which is now entering its 17th year! So I am inevitably lured by things like the Atoma--but at the same time I need to listen to reason, and to experience. Since I have zero experience and only average reason, this is incredibly helpful.

Please let me thank all of you too for being so kind to people whose knowledge and expertise is so far away from yours. Not only has this forum been like a graduate course in metals and techniques, but it has been a very welcoming and non-judgmental place for those just starting out.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:49 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have the Atoma 400 plate, which I use for both flattening and occasional knife sharpening. The 400 will take longer to flatten stones, but if you flatten often and don't your stones dish much at all, it's not too bad. The 400 is quite good as a coarse stone as well when you need it.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:32 am 

pjwoolw wrote:Once you own an Atoma you'll wonder why you ever used anything else. There is no comparison to the DMT products.

+1 - liked my DMT until I bought an Atoma and then the DMT felt like wasted money.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]