It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Atifex Grind
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:27 am 
Forum Moderator

When I first got my Artifex, it cut decently well, but after a couple sharpenings, it needed to be thinned out. The 210mm Artifex cut about the same as my Kikuichi Elite 240mm that needed to be thinner or a hair better. Mark designed these as a entry level into the J Knife realm using harder steel, but behind the edge being fatter for more durability. They are ground to around .020" after HT, but the area behind the edge thickens up a bit after the first sharpening at the factory. If they were laser thin, they would be much easier to chip out, especially for those coming from Henkels, Wustoff, etc.

I have been to Lamson a few times and have seen some of the knives they grind. I saw some that pretty much had a zero degree edge bevel after the grind and are incredibly thin. I reground an Artifex 240, Addict 2 and Artifex Nakiri and sent them to Mark to play with. He loved they way they performed and I am hoping Mark will have Lamson start doing them a bit thinner behind the edge, maybe down to .010" at the edge before sharpening.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:34 am 

I'm definitely not saying grind it laser thin.
The good thing about AEB-l with good HT is it is a tough steel and could be ground thinner behind the edge THAN IT IS NOW and not be chippy and a much better cutter.
Thanks for the response Tim.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jeff, I totally understand what you are saying. As Tim stated, I do think Mark could try a run of 210 or 240 Gyutos with a thinner grind at the edge and see how they do in the trenches. I hope that becomes a reality. As you have said, there is a LOT of potential there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:36 am 

I hope I haven't came off to argumentative here, I'm just trying to learn, understand and start a dialog. I mean no disrespect or offense to anyone.

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2