It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:26 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Artifex honesuki sharpening
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 pm 

Hello,
I have watched a few videos on sharpening a single bevel, and I understand that a honesuki grind is typically a little different from the grinds on yanagis, but I'm not exactly sure how. Anyway.

I sharpened the knife previously, but basically did so just on the edge, I suppose creating something of a micro bevel. I watched the videos to do so correctly, because I did not have great results. Now, the knife is shaving sharp, but the bevel extended up to the shinogi line of the knife is very unevenly ground. I am having difficulty explaining I guess, am not very familiar with the lingo. The shinogi line is mostly strait still, but the bevel itself is scratched up and just pretty poor looking, some parts shiny polished, some parts dull scratched. There is a point directly between the shinogi line and edge running parallel that is especially standing out as polished differently.

I did a lot of work trying to make it even but couldn't seem to get it right. Now, unfortunately for me I have to consider the artifex quite an expensive knife, and I am a little mad at myself for messing with it.

I use 250, 1k, and 6k King stones.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to smooth it out to bring back the aesthetics.Image

Post subject: Re: Artifex honesuki sharpening
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

It seems you're just after aesthetics, but I would like to discuss a few things you bring up.

Let's clarify a few things:

Typically a honesuki is ground NOTHING like a yanagi....not even close. You sharpen them nothing alike and you should draw no comparisons between the two when sharpening.

Typically a honesuki is ground something like 80/20 or 70/30....biased strongly towards a right hand user. It is still a double bevel knife, thus nothing like a yanagi which is a single bevel knife with a hollow ground back.

There is no "shinogi" line on a typical honesuki....again, this is reserved for a single bevel knife which a honesuki is not typically.

That said, notice I said typically. It's not always true. In the case of the Artifex honesuki, CKTG's says it's ground 80/20 so I'll use that as I've never seen one. This knife is what I would consider "typical" based on the information I know of the knife.

Essentially what you've done is tried to flatten the large bevel on the right side. This is exceedingly difficult with stones. Stone's dish, wear, etc. and are extremely difficult to get a smooth polished surface across such a large bevel. In fact, I don't ever try to do this as I've done it once and I'll NEVER do it again. :)

If you didn't overgrind an area, this knife is sharp, and all you're after is aesthetics, I suggest you invest in some ScotchBrite pads....get the coarse and fine....and try to polish the bevel to your liking. This is going to take a while....grab some beers and a few Advil. :)

If you want, send the knife here and I'll run the bevel across the ScotchBrite belt(s) and try to polish it back out for you for the cost of shipping the knife back. I CANNOT guarantee I will make it look factory, but I can do my best. And it will make the knife dull most likely.

At some point, you would need to thin the honesuki and thus "mess" up the bevel anyhow.....it's the nature of the beast if you want the most performance from your knives.

Another thing, this knife should have a small sharpened bevel on the back and one on the front. This is how I believe the knife came and this is how the knife should be kept unless you're trying for a thinner edge or thicker edge or something else. If you liked the performance from the box, it should look like it did from the factory. The entire beveled should only be ground to thin the knife.

Starting to ramble....I'll shut up now.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:05 pm 

Whoa, I was way off. I guess I thought the difference was mainly that the honesuki didn't have the hollow ground back, but rather left flat for edging up against bones. Ok, so I was closer to correct when I just winged it. Factory grind seemed pretty much flat on the back, a tiny bevel at most. I maintained the bevel as it was, it seemed more 90/10 than 80/20 but I'm no expert.

I'll try the scotch brite pads, I have some other blades I'd like to fix some scratches with anyway. If I can't get any results I might just accept the mistake depending on how much it continues to bother me, or I may take you up on your offer.

Thanks for the clarification.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:45 am 

Adam,

Are you sure the Artifex Honesuki is 80/20? I could swear that Mark told me it was 99/1.... I could be wrong...

I have the Tojiro DP Honesuki and I sharpen it as a traditional single bevel and get great results... This is the first I have heard that honesuki's are somewhat asymmetric... Hmmm... I guess I was mistaken...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

No knife should be "sharpened like a single bevel" unless it has an urasuki (hollow ground back).

No "typical" honesuki I've ever seen had an urasuki. Some I've seen have, but they're not typical and not the norm.

As to whether or not the Artifex Honesuki is 80/20 or not, I'm just going off of the info on CKTG website. As I've stated, I've not seen one....at least that I recall.

I've also never seen (not seen them all of course, but I've seen a lot) a symmetrically ground honesuki. All I've ever seen have been asymmetrically ground to some degree.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]