It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:33 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Arashiyama cracked
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

I have purchased a bunch of stones from you and have no issues with them except for the Arashiyama. I use the utmost care with handling all my stones and keep them in a plastic box sitting on cheesecloth. I went to use them today and noticed the Arashiyama had some cracks in it. Went to pick it up and a chunk fell off. The width of the stone (3") and approx 1" from the end. Checking over the stone there is another crack running down the side approx. 3" in length and up to the piece that fell off. I also notice many more cracks appearing in the stone in the same area running in different directions. In most cases I would tell someone that they must have hit the stone against something to cause this, but along with the other cracks through the stone this is unlikely. I am the only one who even goes near the stones and I know that it has never made contact with anything that should do this. There has been very little wear to the stone as I have only used it a few times. I will attach some pictures for you to see.

Regards,
Ronald

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Arashiyama cracked
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ronald,

I doubt trama was the cause of the stone cracking. Usually it's how they dry out that makes them crack. I would recommend you not put them on any type of cloth when you store them. You want complete airflow around the stone so they dry out quickly and completely. That's just a guess but try it. I also assume you are storing them inside without large temperature swings. If you have your stones in the sun or in a cold garage that can make them crack as well.

Anyway, don't worry about it. I'm on a short vacation and I'll contact you when I get back and we'll work something out like a big discount on a new stone.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

I dry my stone's on their edges so they dry out top and bottom evenly. Never had one crack yet.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:03 pm 

Adam is absolutely spot in, make sure you dry the stone off after use.
Perhaps you could glue the stone to a base to prevent further damage and also, you could use the piece that fell off as a Nagura stone. (Unless it crumbled).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:24 pm 

I feel like I'm starting to read more and more stories of stones of all types cracking. I've always dried my stones flat on a towel. I'm sure I'll switch that up now. Should I just mount all of them to tiles or something? I was already thinking of doing it with my naturals, but I'm reading a lot of these stories, and that will seriously chap my a$$ if I start breaking stones left and right.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:32 pm 

I was speaking with another sharpener about stones and they too had issues with the Arashiyama 6k developing cracks. They too dried the stone between uses and experienced cracking of several Arashiyama stones.

I have always kept mine in water and it wasn't until I let my first 6k dry out that I experienced cracking. The stone was only 3-4mm thick so I attributed it to pressure cracks from use. In truth it was actually because after being in complete saturation for over a year it was very sensitive to the rate at which the water evaporated from the stone.

With stones that need to be soaked before use it's often best to perma soak them to prevent issues.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:38 pm 

Mark,
Thank you for replying to my e-mail I sent. I hope you are enjoying your time away.
I have seen some of the replies to my issue with the stone. I guess I am a little confused. Some say that you should dry the stone out after use. Then don't put the stone on a cloth (one piece of cheesecloth is what I use) as it dries them out. One piece of cheesecloth allows air to get to the bottom of the stone. My stones are in the basement with 50% humidity. The temp. is between 60 and 70 degrees depending on the time of the year. I use a holder for the stones when sharpening. I feel that it was just something with this stone that caused this problem. I have been sharpening knives as a small side job for many years. Not to make money as I am retired but enjoy bringing a knife to it's fullest potential.
I am a member for years with other knife forums and manufactures of sharpening equipment have sent me their product so that I could do a review for others to see.
Chef Knives To Go is highly recommended by many on the forums and Look forward to speaking with you when you return.

Regards,
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:09 pm 

Hello Ron

Besides a professional sharpener I am also a certified water restoration technician. It seems simple but the way things dry out is a science in itself and if done incorrectly can cause all sorts of issues.

So, with the average of 65 degrees and 50% humidity the grains per pound (GPP) of moisture in the air is 45 which is a lot. That's a higher GPP than I look for after 24 hours of professional drying has occurred.

So given your environment and drying practices I would say your stone is drying too slow. Adding a dehu or lowering the temperature 5-10 degrees would probably correct your humidity issues.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:50 pm 

Adam Marr wrote:I dry my stone's on their edges so they dry out top and bottom evenly. Never had one crack yet.

I do exactly the same.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:56 pm 

Hi Jason,
Thanks for the info you supplied.
I just checked the humidity in my unfinished basement ( not heated but well insulated ) and it's 35% at 62-63 degrees. It's about 35* outside today. I live in Southern New Jersey and about 5 miles from the Ocean. I do have my two dehumidifiers set at 50% so they don't seem to run much in the winter. Most everything that I have read the range seems good for this area ( 35%-50% humidity ). If the environment was not comfortable I would make a change. I have quite a bit of wood and metal working equipment in my workshop along with my knives/guns and everything stays in good condition.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next