It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:56 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: >> Another Sunday done... <<
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:38 pm 

Cooking a dish that is repeated is a lot like writing a paper
Rough Draft
Revision
Revision
Revision
Final product

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

BBC <> It's really not self deprecating, I just know what I know, and I know there is so much better. Even I can do exponentially better, but even my best isn't anywhere close to the best. Just the facts. I'm OK with that... well, I'm really not, but I don't know many ways to improve beyond my base by any way other than how I built my base... teaching myself. ;) I've done well, but let's face it... it's very limiting. :lol: Yah, Hendrix taught himself on a Strat strung backwards, but try & try as I might... I'm no Jimmy. :lol: It's honestly flattering to "impress", but I don't impress myself... at all.

PANKO <> I'm always willing to hire an assistant for parties. I have no reason to kill myself if I don't have to, but I can't ever get anyone to pass background. As you may or may not have gleaned thus far, this is a high security property, and the HR background check is thorough & exhaustive. Over the 3 seasons at this post, I have networked with the local Culinary Institute & I have 24 years of local kitchen contacts that have yielded me one prospect. He just bought a restaurant, and is no longer available for next season. I have one reliable dishwasher that I found through other avenues, and he helps in the smallest way with prep (e.g., peeling vegetables, picking herbs, washing lettuces, etc.). I got another kid through alternate methods that passed, but he's green out of school, in the National Reserve (often gone to serve) & just got a line-job at Cafe Boulud Palm Beach. I had another kid that's a Sous at a local Italian shop <--link that passed, but he flaked out after 4 or 5 parties. My next season is going to be interesting as I don't have much in the bullpen. :| If you're in Palm Beach next year & can pass an exhaustive criminal/traffic/credit background, you're more than welcome to shadow... I'll even pay you.. and pay you well.

JEFFB <> I'm not claiming to be a shoemaker & thank you for your sentiment, but again... glory's only fleeting.. already gone.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:38 pm 

Oh Mel that is tempting :D
Background checks aren't an issue :)

I love doing parties like that.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:01 am 

Just messing with you ,:)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:58 am 

All I can add is what you do, you do very well and you have my respect and admiration.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:34 pm 

It must be nice to poop gold.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

MILLER <> If you happened to be in Palm Beach for Thanksgiving, X-mas/New Years, Spring Break & assorted times through out the year, I can guarantee you well paid overtime weeks for all 3 of those three-week stretches.

JEFFB <> Thank you, kindly & sincerely, and just think... I ain't shit.

UMBERTO <> It is truly an alternate reality.

NBLES <> I'm cool with jestful jabs; I just don't get it.

And not necessarily directed at LUNA, though his snarky nature is amusing, we do agree these pictures are nothing special. As I have repeated, I am not allowed to do anything special even beyond the handicap of doing it all alone. Playtime in methods like molecular gastronomy is frowned upon as are ornate presentations. Even simple yet elegant hors d`oeuvres like a smoked salmon “tartar” in sesame tuilles get nixed because “no one will eat raw salmon!” Well sir, it is not raw, but I am forced to bastardize the presentation with a prepared salmon like a “tuna-fish-salad”.

One time here I talked them into allowing me to serve watermelon as caviar. I reckon, they suspected I was going to make small “melon balls”. Instead, I juiced the melon and employed ionic spherification with sodium alginate & calcium chlorides.

Did they appreciate it? Hell no. It was & I quote, “too wet!” Well, that was sort of the effin point folks – an explosion of melon juice heightened by simple mint in a cool cucumber cup. I am not allowed to play with “special stuff”; I am expected to perform conservatively at this post after being recruited because I had already proved how good I am after making the conditions perfect as Executive Chef of two restaurants in the area of which grossed 2.25 & 7 million dollars a year, respectively. You're welcome to assist in Palm Beach if you pass background, young grasshopper.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:48 am 

Maybe I just need more sleep.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:41 am 

Working in a vital kitchen doing something a different is a great time. I can't think of many careers that consider going to work for someone else for free for a week a vacation. If I'm ever in town I will certainly sign up for a night.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:26 am 
Forum Moderator

Amazing - lovely pictures - careful of the frown lines due to you concentrating...

Now I'm hungry as well.

:)

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next