It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another rust and patina problem
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:31 pm 

Okay so I thinned and sharpened my first carbon knife along with a few other stainless knives the other day and my poor technique along with neglect caused some rust to form. What happened was the low angle I was using while thinning along with swarf building up just above the edge stripped a few millimeters down to the bare carbon and while sharpening the other knives I didn't wipe off the excess water and by the time I was done with the other two, bam rust. Soooo, I got some barkeepers friend and was wondering if I should force a slight patina back on to the freshly cleaned metal with an onion or tomato or some mustard or something as to prevent from having to clean it again. What do you guys do when you sharpen carbon blades cause it seems that no matter how careful I am I get sharpening marks up the side of the blade and it has never been an issue until I started using carbon blades.

Post subject: Re: Another rust and patina problem
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:58 pm 

BKF should get rid of the rust if it isn't too bad. A patina will occur when you cut acidic food. Some people like it, some don't; it offers a little (not a lot) of protection from rust. You'll learn to minimize sharpening scratches as you progress. If they bother you (as they do me) you can stock up on sandpaper and micro-mesh and learn to polish them out (and get rid of the patina at the same time).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:22 pm 

You don't have to force anything. Just dry the blade off completely after sharpening and you should be good. Like wsfarrell said, a patina will happen on its own, but it won't hurt anything if you force one anyway.

When I am done with grinding on the stones I will strop the places I thinned as well as where I sharpened. It helps to polish the sides a bit and remove the really shiny scratches giving the metal a good clean surface to get a new patina on. Really though, scratches don't bother me but as you get more consistent you should see less random scratches outside the area where you were sharpening or thinning. Other than that you are rubbing the metal blade against a sharpening stone... scratches will happen. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 pm 

Cool, thanks a lot guys! As always very informative and helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 am 

Well, I put some BKF on a scouring pad and the rust cleaned off in two seconds and I used the newly cleaned knife to cook dinner with and she is already starting to form a slight patina so thanks again guys for the great advice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:47 am 

From all my research I've never seen a blade rust that fast. You want to wipe it down often to keep it reacting with your food, but it shouldn't rust that quickly. The petina on my Naikri has a slight oil slick look to it. You might just be mistaking the patina for rust

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:33 am 

After thinning a carbon monosteel, I apply hot vinegar by dabbing the newly blank steel surface to restore the patina. Rinse with hot water, wash with soap.
So I don't have to worry about discoloured onions.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]