It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another knife recommendation thread.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:49 am 

atang wrote:Here are a couple gyuto suggestions. Some fall into your requested parameters, others drift a little. These are the style gyuto I prefer over some others. Just to explore other options that may interest you.
Sakai Takayuki:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sata24wa.html

Saji Damascus WaGyuto:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sadawa24.html

Suisin Inox Honyaki:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suinhowa24.html

Sakai Yusuke:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sakaiyusuke2.html

Pettys-
I like to have the best edge retention for shorter length knives. I think the Masakage petty knives in AS would be woth looking at:
150mm- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/makope15.html
120mm- http://www.chefknivestogo.com/makope12.html

I have not used many nakiri. I wouldn't even know where to begin. :?

Thank you for your suggestion, I will have a look at them and take them into consideration. I might come back with some questions tomorrow after I finish work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:26 pm 

I can't make a strong recommendation based on experience, but I can say I have recently considered the Masakage Koishi 240. Some thoughts to consider: it appears to be a larger knife (runs long), and it appears to be medium-tall in height, although I'm sure this varies because it is hand-made. The finish isn't as smooth or polished as of the other knifes by Masakage, and this may affect cutting performance in comparison to the Yuki and others. While clad, the edge may need a little care if you're gone for 2 months at a time, especially if you're in a humid climate (this may involve re-packaging the knife, or potentially oiling the knife). The balance on these knives tends to be rather blade heavy. While very thin behind the edge, the knife has a reputation for a stiff and hefty spine, especially just out of the handle.

All that said, I have not used the knife, but I've read a number of reviews of it. I have a couple Konosukes that I like very much, but I remain very curious about the Suisin Inox (which has already been recommended)—people seem to love this knife, even if it isn't always the personal favorite in their collection. If you like more of a medium weight or more of a workhorse feel, you may also consider the Richmond Laser (Aogami Super)—people sing the praises of this knife frequently due to its great performance. It may not be as refined as the Masakagi, but has similar qualities while offering a different finish and slightly different weight, profile, geometry, and style overall. People have also been signing the praises of the Anryu, which has some relation to the Masakage brand. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasgy24.html

Again, these recommendations are based on your interest in the Masakage, so they emphasize a clad blade with a carbon core and a slightly more robust feel on the board (with the exception of the Suisin Inox, of course, which is none of these things!).

If you want really solid, focused recommendations here, you may want to add what kind of edge you want (laser thin or a bit heftier), what kind of profile or how much belly, and other characteristics like those. People seems really responsive to make detailed recommendations when they are comparing very similar knives rather than any or all possible stainless or clad knives on the site.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:28 pm 

the F&F for the shimo is very nice. the handle seems small for me but it doesnt really matter as i use the pinch grip most of the time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:48 am 

salemj wrote:I can't make a strong recommendation based on experience, but I can say I have recently considered the Masakage Koishi 240. Some thoughts to consider: it appears to be a larger knife (runs long), and it appears to be medium-tall in height, although I'm sure this varies because it is hand-made. The finish isn't as smooth or polished as of the other knifes by Masakage, and this may affect cutting performance in comparison to the Yuki and others. While clad, the edge may need a little care if you're gone for 2 months at a time, especially if you're in a humid climate (this may involve re-packaging the knife, or potentially oiling the knife). The balance on these knives tends to be rather blade heavy. While very thin behind the edge, the knife has a reputation for a stiff and hefty spine, especially just out of the handle.

I do live in a humid environment, central Bangkok. which is why I would prefer a stainless clad over a full carbon blade. Taking care of an edge seems much less daunting than to care for the entire blade face.

salemj wrote:All that said, I have not used the knife, but I've read a number of reviews of it. I have a couple Konosukes that I like very much, but I remain very curious about the Suisin Inox (which has already been recommended)—people seem to love this knife, even if it isn't always the personal favorite in their collection. If you like more of a medium weight or more of a workhorse feel, you may also consider the Richmond Laser (Aogami Super)—people sing the praises of this knife frequently due to its great performance. It may not be as refined as the Masakagi, but has similar qualities while offering a different finish and slightly different weight, profile, geometry, and style overall. People have also been signing the praises of the Anryu, which has some relation to the Masakage brand. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaanasgy24.html

Again, these recommendations are based on your interest in the Masakage, so they emphasize a clad blade with a carbon core and a slightly more robust feel on the board (with the exception of the Suisin Inox, of course, which is none of these things!).

If you want really solid, focused recommendations here, you may want to add what kind of edge you want (laser thin or a bit heftier), what kind of profile or how much belly, and other characteristics like those. People seems really responsive to make detailed recommendations when they are comparing very similar knives rather than any or all possible stainless or clad knives on the site.

With regards to what kind of edge I am looking for I prefer a bit heftier and robust over thin and "flimsy".

Thanks for a very thoughtful reply.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:06 am 

I do like the Anryu Hammered gyuto suggested above, how does it compare to the Masakage koishi I first had my eyes on?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:17 am 

I heard hefty and robust, kanehiro comes to mind. Havent used one personally, but the reviews make it seem like tremendous workhorses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:14 am 

I just purchased from Mark the Masakage Shimo 240 Gyuto and the 150 Petty and all I can say is WOW. Beautiful to look at so far as I just received them today. I am switching from German Steel and there seems to be no comparison. Time will tell. I will be out of the country (Fishing Again) for almost 3 weeks but will be prepping when I get back. Best of luck on your decision.

Jamie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:56 am 

Awesome wrote:
ScarymanMB wrote:I own a Masakage Shimo gyuto and petty. The fit and finish is excellent as is the out of the box sharpness. I believe these qualities span the entire Masakage line.

Good luck with your purchase.

Mike

Sound good, Thank you.
If I were to go outside of Masakage for two of the blades which brand would you recomennd that will keep the same level or better of fit and finish?

Awesome

I do not have a varied enough selection of knives to answer this properly. The Masakage's are the best in my kit. The other J knives I have are more for others to use and to practice my sharpening skills with. The fit and finish on them is no where near as nice as the Masakage's but neither were the price. Hopefully someone else here can answer this question with first hand knowledge.

Good luck

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:23 am 
Forum Moderator

AWESOME <> Enough information about you has yet to be shed amid this thread for me to make further recommendations, but you want a nakiri... get this<--link before someone else does.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:01 pm 

Melampus <> I do not know what other information I can possibly provide as I don't really know what type of profile I prefer. I am quite new to kitchen knives.

That Nakiri seems really nice, thanks for the tip. I will see if I can find any sort of review of it, It is on my short list.

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next