It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:42 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another Gyuto Recommendation
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:47 pm 

I have been considering getting a gyuto for home use and would appreciate some feedback/advice. Most of my experience has been with Henckels professional s. I recently purchased a Tojiro DP Nakiri from CKTG that I have been pleased with but which has got me thinking about getting another knife. A gyuto seems like the logical choice. I prefer a western handle and was pretty much leaning towards a Kikuichi TKC. However, I have recently be giving thought to the Richmond Artifex as I would like to support the project and the line seems to be well recieved. There is a significant price difference between the two and I am curious what advantages/compromises would be made going with one vs the other. Both have received positive feedback but i do not have any reference for comparing. Any recommendations other than or in addition to these two? Also, is there a size that seems to work best for home use? Kinda was thinking 240mm based on what I've read here but unsure whether 210mm or something else would be more appropriate. Since this information seems to be requested, i am right handed; fairly proficient with the edge pro; push cut primarily; prefer stain resistant steel; and would like to stay under $250 unless there was compelling reason to spend more. Finally, i know the 240 Artifex just became available so there may not be many who know the answer but looking at the 240, the blade geometry appears to have less belly near the tip as compared to other gyutos of similar size and also the 210 Artifex. is this the case? Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: Another Gyuto Recommendation
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hi jer,

Thanks for asking!

There are a few differences.

1. The TKC is semi stainless and the Artifex is fully stainless.
2. The handle has a bolster on the TKC while the Artifex uses no bolster to keep costs down.
3. The profile on the Artifex 240 is more slender. I based it on the Masamoto KS which is a popular style.
4. Price as you noted.
5.The TKC is sharper out of the box than the Artifex. We offer finish sharpening on the 210s but not yet on the 240s.
They're both good knives.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:14 am 

This is tough one imo. They are both great knives. I own the TKC in 240 and wish it had a WA handle instead of the western style. It does have a really nice blade profile though. It is on the thin side of knives but not quite what I would consider a laser/ super thin. The edge out of box is sharp and very usable. The blade holds it's edge for quite some time under regular home use. As Mark said it is semi stainless and mine now wears a few spots from where things were cut and the blade was not cleaned off quickly enough, Possibly by other folks in my house lol.

I cannot speak to the Artifex yet although I will have 210 w/ finish sharpening in my possession by friday or monday depending when it shows up. I will let you know what I think of it at that point.

As of now I would lean towards the Artifex in a blind match up due to a lighter handle, thinner profile and attractive price. I would also lean towards the 240 if you feel that you are capable of bringing the edge up to snuff. That said if you feel strongly about the TKC it is a great knife and you would not be making a mistake purchasing it.

Josh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:54 pm 

Thanks for the help. I decided to try the Artifex. I'm sure I will be pleased with it. I will post some my impressions of the knife after I have some time with it for what they are worth. Josh, I will check back to read your thoughts on the 210. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:47 pm 

Welcome Jer and I will likely get a review up on here by early next week as long as the shipment comes in before we sail.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]