It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Another day off!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Had today off. Parents told me on Weds that my brother was coming over at 7am and was bringing my 3 yr old nephew. I have bow stuff, gun stuff, knife stuff all over the kitchen and living room, so I woke up at 6am and got everything cleaned up by 730, only to find he wasn't going to arrive until around 815. So I went out to my shed to get started on handles early and when I went to plug in one of the power cord, I noticed that it only have 2 prongs, but not the third. Not good. Checked the outlet that I use, yup, prong was still in there! So my dad shut the power off to the circuit so we could remove the prong and then I went off to the hardware store for another heavy cord and 3 plus converter...$73 later :(

And it got worse before it got better! Went to epoxy a set of USA Camo scales onto a Kohetsu Blue #2 210mm gyuto. Test fit everything outside to make sure the pins moved nicely in the holes and there was space for epoxy in there and went downstairs. Mixed up the epoxy, coated the tang side of the scales, inserted the pins into one set of scales and tried to put the other scale on. For some reason, the pin didn't want to go into the holes and ended up snapping off. Of course, this is after it's all epoxy covered, so I ran outside, knocked the pin out, grabbed another one and then ran back inside to try to get it together before the JB Kwik Weld started to set up, bout 4 minutes. 2nd pin snapped! WTF! Now I gotta yank the scales apart and start scrubbing the blade and tang and scales and try to remove as much JB Weld as possible so I can sand everything down and re try. So I had to wait for the JB weld to harder so I could sand it off, got the handle epoxied fine on the 2nd attempt??

Then I shaped out ChipB's handles! Bog Oak, Silver M3 spacer and really nice claro walnut for a Kato gyuto and Claro Walnut, Silver M3 spacer and Bog Oak for a Shig gyuto. Started these as an octagon and then converted to a D shape. The Octagon handle helps me keep the rounds even before I shape the D side. From there, I shaped another Wa handle for a Goko 240mm, this one is Tiger Maple and Black Maple Burl in an octagon shape, but with a angle close to 45 degrees cut into the butt end of the handle.

Quick pics of the ChipB's two and the USA Camo handle. Had to fill some small voids on the Black maple handle and USA handle, so those aren't as finished currently.

Post subject: Re: Another day off!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:24 pm 

Completely blown away Tim! Seriously, even better than I had envisioned/hoped for!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:57 pm 

Those wa handles look great, and that's a good trick for shaping the D handles. I tried something similar and it worked well. It is a shame about the epoxy and pin problems on the Kohetsu. I've started using JB Kwik Weld rather than wood glue, on your advice, and it is a source of considerable time pressure. Being in the position where the epoxy is setting and something doesn't fit is not fun.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:09 am 

When you said USA camo handle, I had no idea what to expect. But this was not it.

As usual, excellent work. Can't wait to see the Shig and Kato all dolled up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:36 am 
Forum Moderator

The USA camo is a piece of a block I made a while back when I was doing my laminates. It is made of fabric and epoxies that they use for laminating wood and fiberglass together to build boats. I did an Artifex for CKTG with this material a while back and some other colors/patterns.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:16 pm 

Knives arrived today. Absolutely absurd. D is done perfectly and they feel absolutely bomb proof. Needless to say, they look amazing as well. Will certainly be a repeat customer.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Tim!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Wow, they delivered early!! UPS usually get here till after 4pm! Enjoy them!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

4 done!

Chip B's full blades:

Goko with Tiger maple and Black Maple Burl, angled butt:

Kohetsu 210mm Blue #2 with the handle straightened like a Wa (remove birds beak and flatten curves), oval shaped handle with USA Camo:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:02 am 

Very. Excited.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:25 pm 

Seriously, pictures can't do these handles justice. The feel just exudes quality, stability and refinement that a photo just can't capture. I'm especially loving the Kato's handle (and the knife for that matter). The blade itself is just a beast, and the handle just grabs the character so well, while holding it, I've found myself looking at my other knives thinking "Ha, that's not a knife... THAT's a knife".

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next