It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: >> Another day, another service... <<
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:23 am 

Gold leaf plates. Classic! The food looks delicious.
Your thread title says it all. I empathize working 60 hrs. a week myself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:06 am 

You have that focused look in your eye. I get it and people know not to talk to me for a second.
Too much fun!

How many small dinners/ coursed parties to do you get to do? I always volunteer to run them out of my crew. It breaks up the monotony of the regular menu.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:17 pm 

Mad props to you Melampus! I have utmost respect to those who can produce plates like that with uniform repeatability.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:05 am 

Impressive, you are most definitely a talented man.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:58 am 
Forum Moderator

SAILOR, JEFFB, RICK, MB <> I sincerely thank you for your kind words, but let's simmer down a notch. :P It's just another boring day... another boring service. I typically cook for old clientele that don't like foods to be presented ornately, don't like garnish, don't like sauce on the plate, don't like seasoning, don't like meat anyway but well done, don't like items they've never tasted regardless of how frikking awesome they might be, don't like this, and don't like that. I propose menus accordingly, and its best anyway as planning, purchasing, prepping, cooking, & plating a six-course meal for 18 like this, by myself, has to be streamlined to achieve perfect service... and only perfect is acceptable.

SAILOR <> I'm 24 years deep & have commanded two Executive Chef posts in restaurants annually grossing 2.25 & 7 million dollars, respectively. My current post is exponentially more stressful than running a restaurant.

NBLES <> Thank you, and in reply, those photos were snippits of a six-course dinner for 18, Principals & guests.

ATANG <> Thank you for your kind words, and but of course, :lol: they're gold plated & hand painted in France. I hate handling them. When I put them in the warmer drawer it's tight around the corners & I'm always on edge, and then when I flash them in the Sally, on the way out, all I can think about is they're up to $1000 a pop.

PANKO <> Small meals are typically breakfast buffets with a`la minute service, 2-course lunches & 3-course dinners for usually between 1 to 8 everyday and with numerous services as rarely will everyone sit at once: breakfast, lunch, snacks, dinner, room service, and any & everything in between from plane catering to feeding private contractors, feeding staff, board room catering, blah, blah, blah. It is not uncommon to begin breakfast service for guests that are just waking up whilst starting lunch service for another group that had breakfast 2 hours ago, and then another group splitting that. I'm trying to prep for lunch while serving breakfasts. I'm trying to prep for dinner while serving lunches. There are always guests expecting mid-afternoon snacks before I've even made it out of lunch service. You can only get so far ahead before it's sandbagging.

Also, bear in mind, "small meal" counts always jump to about 25 heads on premise for (3) 3-week periods: Thanksgiving, New Years, and Spring Break.

Last few months of coursed parties:

Feb. 27 for 106
Feb. 28 for 12 VIP
Mar. 4 for 75
Mar. 11 for 45
Mar. 14 for 55
Apr. 09 for 45
Apr. 19 for 18 VIP
Apr. 26 for 16 VIP

I had 3 days off in April. Every other "day" was between a 12 & 40 hour shift.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:33 am 

A friend of mine has two sayings about such pressure.

"Good Livin'"
and
"Pain now/beer later"

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

I prefer the beer in concert... with a shot of truffle juice.. try it.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:45 pm 

Next time we have beer for the crew I'll have to try that. I think the only juice we have sitting around is the stuff from the canned shavings though

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:21 pm 
Forum Moderator

That's exactly what I mean. It just needs a teaspoon per 11oz pour. I keep a 4oz. squeeze bottle at the ready, and a quick shot is dished expeditiously.

I'm a black beer kinda guy... stouts & porters. As there is often yellow beer around, I needed to find a way to make it palatable, to me. Voila. ;) That said, it seems to only pair with light lagers & pilsners... maybe pale ales.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:39 pm 

I was curious about the pairings. Maybe I'll by some to keep at home :)

Page 2 of 4 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next