It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:54 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another Alternative to the Edge Pro.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:56 pm 

Hey guys, a few questions about the KME. First of all, I have a DMT Aligner, which is a lot like the Lansky or Gatco system, and the angles it can achieve are pretty limited, around 15° per side for a wide chef's knife, and closer to 17° for blades that aren't as tall. Does the stock KME really go lower than that? I know in the first post, you show 9° per side on a wider knife, but 12° on one just a little more narrow. Would you have to have a very tall knife to achieve angles <10°?

Also, what is the maximum length this system can handle comfortably? With the Aligner, even 165mm is pushing the limits of the design.

Thanks for the thread at any rate, the pictures are great, they really show off he system and have me interested.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:20 am 

The maximum comfortable length of kitchen knife is 8". 10" is really pushing it, but it can be done.

Cm_bush wrote:Hey guys, a few questions about the KME. First of all, I have a DMT Aligner, which is a lot like the Lansky or Gatco system, and the angles it can achieve are pretty limited, around 15° per side for a wide chef's knife, and closer to 17° for blades that aren't as tall. Does the stock KME really go lower than that? I know in the first post, you show 9° per side on a wider knife, but 12° on one just a little more narrow. Would you have to have a very tall knife to achieve angles <10°?

Also, what is the maximum length this system can handle comfortably? With the Aligner, even 165mm is pushing the limits of the design.

Thanks for the thread at any rate, the pictures are great, they really show off he system and have me interested.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:21 am 

The maximum comfortable length of kitchen knife is 8". 10" is really pushing it, but it can be done.

Cm_bush wrote:Hey guys, a few questions about the KME. First of all, I have a DMT Aligner, which is a lot like the Lansky or Gatco system, and the angles it can achieve are pretty limited, around 15° per side for a wide chef's knife, and closer to 17° for blades that aren't as tall. Does the stock KME really go lower than that? I know in the first post, you show 9° per side on a wider knife, but 12° on one just a little more narrow. Would you have to have a very tall knife to achieve angles <10°?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:46 am 

Umberto the stock stones are not the best out there but used with a Arkansas stone you can get a very sharp edge for what you paid for.

If you have a knife that is 10 inch's long just put the knife in the jaws on an angle an it will reach both ends just fine,the KME will do a knife up to 8 inchs just fine and still have lot's of rod left,I have a 8 inch knife and that's the longest I have.

I'll take a picture of how to put the blade in on an angle in a few days,Ron is sending me a longer spacer and I emailed him today to see if the longer 3/4 spacer will be standard,I think it will be because the longer thinner jaws are now standard as well but I'm not going to confirm that until I here back from Ron,when I get the spacer I'm going to post a pic of that as well so I'll post everything at the same time.

I know Mark Richmond told me today that he is getting a sample from Ron to see if he like it,and I know that Mark will be cutting the Shaptons for it sooner or later,he told me I should have my glass stones in a week or 2,I think the Shaptons and the Chosera's are the only stones that are really needed as they are about the best 2 stones out there.

I think if you got a KME you would like it and I can tell you it's no problem for it to do a kitchen knife as good as an edge pro or wicked edge.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:57 pm 

wade7575 wrote:

As far as I can see and from what many people have told me on Forums the Edge Pro takes longer to set up and you need to re-adjust for different stone thickness's,where as with the KME I just push ahead on the spring loaded rod and stick the knife in and check the angle with my digital angle finder and I'm off and running and I don't have to worry if one of my stones is thicker or not I can just change it out without worrying about stone being thicker or thinner and throwing my angle out.

With the Apex Pro, as the stone wears, the distance between the stone’s cutting face and the rod decreases - slightly changing the angle. The distances changes because the rear of the stone is fixed. Wear moves the cutting face.

From studying your pics and the KME video, with the KME, the rear of the stone is placed against the stone carrier and clamped into place - the rear of the stone is fixed. Just like the Apex Pro, as the stone wears, the distance between the stone’s cutting face and the rod will decrease. Changing the angle.

Sorry but I don’t see a “spring loaded rod” in this pic or in the KME video. The only spring I see is in the knife clamping mechanism.

What am I missing? How are various stones different thicknesses compensated for?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:08 pm 

A few small mods to an edge pro and it sets up super easy and fast as well.
Stop collar
spring load stone changer and I had my edge pro up usually in under 5minutes. Especially if you follow MadRookies tips in the Edge Pro forum.

I don't see a benefit of the KME over the edge pro they look about equal to me. However if I went back to a jig for sharpening again I'd go edge pro as it has no issues with bigger knifes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:48 pm 

If you put the knife in on an angle the KME can handle a bigger knife just fine.

I know I can be set up in 1 minute with my KME and do not need to change angles or loosen a stop collar and that's why I went with the KME.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:04 pm 

dougmc would not worry about the any wear on any guided system affecting the finished edge as even soft stones are still pretty hard.
I can't see anymore then 1 or 10 thousands of an inch wearing off during a sharpening,I know a few guys have told me lately that they only flatten the shapton glass stones ever 6 to 8 knives because when they draw a grid patteren and try to flatten it the pencil wears off evenly.

I don't know if that's a good idea or not but that say's something to me about worrying about stone wear affecting the finished edge,and even if it does effect the finished edge I myself don't care because it's still sharper then a free hand job.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:19 pm 

I got my new spacer in the mail today and it was not quiet long enough so I used the 3/4 with the 1/2 inch one and now there is more clearance then I will ever need,I'm going to tell Ron that he may want to make it a full inch long,keep in mind however this was set up to sharpen at 8.2 degree's and it would clear at 9 degree's,I know Mark Richmond told me he only sharpens from 10 to 12 degree's and I don't think many people sharpen at 9 degree's anyway and can't see why anyone would even try at 8.2 degree's.

Here is a picture of the longer spacer beside the old one,and yes the knew longer spacer and jaws are included as standard equipment now with all KME's,I know Ron said there may be some old stock out there but anyone buying from him can be certain that they will be getting the new longer jaws and spacer,I'm sure if someone got old jaws and spacer with their kit all they have to do is call Ron and he would send new ones out for free.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:24 pm 

wade7575 wrote:dougmc would not worry about the any wear on any guided system affecting the finished edge as even soft stones are still pretty hard.
I can't see anymore then 1 or 10 thousands of an inch wearing off during a sharpening,I know a few guys have told me lately that they only flatten the shapton glass stones ever 6 to 8 knives because when they draw a grid patteren and try to flatten it the pencil wears off evenly.

I don't know if that's a good idea or not but that say's something to me about worrying about stone wear affecting the finished edge,and even if it does effect the finished edge I myself don't care because it's still sharper then a free hand job.

Well, that is definitely not my experience with Shapton Glass stones. The grid pattern shows wear after one sharpening. And I do worry/care about such things.

But that's not the point. How are various stones different thicknesses compensated for? Or did you previously "mis-speak"?

Page 3 of 4 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next