Yet another question from someone about a 240mm gyuto....
I've been switching over to Japanese knives over the past year or two, mostly from German and a couple of customs. I've got a Moritaka AS Nakiri that I bought from you, and love. Here's what I'm looking for:
- 240mm wa-gyuto
- Sabatier profile -- I use both push and rocking cuts, and I don't want a deep German-style belly
- stainless, semi-, or clad, with a strong preference for a higher performing steel than typical Swedish stainless or VG-10. Like everyone else, I want as close as I can get to AS performance in a less reactive steel
- I'm a lefty, but prefer a symmetrical grind
- roughly 2.25-2.75mm at spine -- I like thin, but don't need an ultra laser. I don't want it to be whippy, and I'd like for it be sturdy enough to handle hard squash
- convex grind -- strongly prefer a knife that has some convexing to the blade profile for release (another reason to prefer a knife that isn't super thin, I suppose)
It seems to me that I'm yet another candidate for a Konosuke HD. Sound about right? If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.
I was a little unclear on which of these is the latest version.
This one says HD2, which I believe is the latest iteration of the steel:http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdwa24.html
But this one specifically says it's the updated profile:http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd240gynew.html
Is this ebony version the same blade profile?http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdkigy24we.html