It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:12 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Amakusa Stones?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:19 pm 

Can anyone tell me anything about amakusa stones? They seem to be a inexpensive intro to j-nats but i just want to know a little more about them. Im currently thinking about picking up either the (amakusa red coarse, amakusa white medium, and a Jyunsyouhonyama small size) or (Naniwa 150 omura, Naniwa Green Brick and a Jyunsyouhonyama small size). Any comments on these two set ups would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Amakusa Stones?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:48 am 

in some parts of japan amakusa stones are actually used as bricks for houses. =D

just some trivia

of course those amakusa stones are the type that aren't very good for sharpening.

the sharpening kind are cherry picked for their ability to sharpen.

it just means they're plentiful which is why they are cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:31 am 

I have the amakusa stone from cktg and I have to say I'm not a fan. It's hard and very slow to sharpen. The feel is almost like sharpening your knife on granite. You defintely have to use a nagura or diamond plate to generate a slurry.

I've found synthetics to work way better at the lower grit ranges.

I do have an ikarashi that is much better, both in cutting speed and feel, though it's a bit finer than the amakusa.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:39 am 
Forum Moderator

vinhster wrote:I have the amakusa stone from cktg and I have to say I'm not a fan. It's hard and very slow to sharpen. The feel is almost like sharpening your knife on granite. You defintely have to use a nagura or diamond plate to generate a slurry.

I've found synthetics to work way better at the lower grit ranges.

I do have an ikarashi that is much better, both in cutting speed and feel, though it's a bit finer than the amakusa.

+1

My thoughts as well - my Amakusa has become a useless dust collector.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:08 pm 

I'll play the other side of the coin. I've been working with the Amakusa now for the better part of the year and find it a very enjoyable stone to work with. I usually rough it up with my 140 Atoma diamond plate and generate some mud. Depending on pressure, amount of water and mud, I'm creating finishes anywhere from 800 - 1500 grit perhaps. It provides a nice bite to the edge, similar to the results on my nubatama gold 1K. I also think it creates a very attractive, natural looking finish compared to my synthetics, but then again I'm a big fan of natural finishes. For the price I think it presents a good value in the collection.

Josh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

For the price it is a hard stone to beat. Generating mud beforehand with a coarse diamond plate is extremely helpful in getting more out of these stones. They don't cut like synthetics do, of course, but they will leave you with a nice working edge, and the stone is huge as well, so it will last a long time.

Also, your other combination of going from Naniwa 150 to the green brick is a bit of a big jump. I'd recommend either a jumper stone in there, or just start with something a little less coarse than 150... say maybe 320 to 500?

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:16 pm 

Keep in mind that there's a some variation from stone to stone, so even two that look identical might have difffering characteristics.

One thing I did enjoy about the amakusa was the smell. =)

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]