It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:06 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: adding to my kit
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:23 pm 

I have the EPA with ep 120 220 400 1k stones I also have a 1k chosera stone a angle cube a magnet and stop collar. I do not have the ep leveling kit but have the silicon carbide and I use a ceramic tile i may need to upgrade. I have been practicing and have gotten some decent edges I use a strop to remove the burr i have not had much success with using the 1k ep to remove the burr. Hoping that a finer stone will help. Thinking about getting a 5k chosera. Also the 120 ep stones seems to wear really fast it works OK to my knowledge. The reason for this post is isold my sharpmaker with a few accessories and want to put that money torwards a few more ep accessories stones or anything to achieve a better kit or a sharper knife. I will have about 100 to spend and would like a few recommendations before I make my final decision.

Post subject: Re: adding to my kit
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:05 pm 

Dan;
As far as removing the burr I see that you've watched Bens' videos. What you don't see is how lightly
he's stroking the knife.
The key to removing a burr is to let the stone do the work. No more than the weight of the pivot arm will give you better results , even lift up just a little before you more up in a stone progression.
Higher grit stones will give you a better edge but pressure still comes into play - the burr will just be smaller.
If you use too much pressure when starting you can rock the knife downwards changing the angle you've set. Alot of knives have slightly convex sides so care is needed.
Don't even use the weight of your arm and better things will happen.
As far as the stones, EP stones dish fairly quickly which throws off the benefit of the EP so most of us heavier users have gone to Shapton Glass stones http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shprostforep.html and Nubatamas http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nuedprost.html which is currently getting my love (the 150 & 220 black is OUTSTANDING on the harder steels-AEB-L & VG10). Both of these dish much less than the EPs'.
There are a ton of posts about each of these stones here on the site.
Flattening & leveling for your stones is a MUST for the EP. While the EP kit is the least expensive most us use a 3"x8" diamond plate http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shac.html . Less mess, quicker & easier to use so you'll be using it more :) :)
The EP is a great tool but it still has a learning curve which you'll pick up soo enough.

Enjoy the toy

Douglas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:55 pm 

So I assume adding the 3x8 diamond would be a good idea I saw one for 29.99. I agree that the silicon carbide is messy. I was hoping to replace my ep 120 once I used it up and plan on replacing it with one you suggested. Or would you replace it now. Do I need anymore accessories. I would like get a few finer stones. If I go with the diamond plate and a 4k and 8k stone that would take care of my hundred dollar budget.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:58 pm 

Can you flatten all stones with the 140 diamond plate. How long will the diamond plate last

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:23 am 

This is the most recommended flattening plate http://www.chefknivestogo.com/at14dipl.html It's $5 over your budget . I'm not Mr. deep pockets but I believe in buying right the 1st time. The Atoma has a very even distribution of diamonds and will last you forever if you're sharpening for yourself,friends , family, in laws and people you meet in bars.
Another well recommended one is one of the DMTs. I don't have one and can't give any advice as to which one because I've never used one but there a bunch of folks here that do have experience with them.
The first thing I would do is get the diamond plate because you can't get a good edge with the EP using a dished stone.

Later, after your technique gets better ( and the bank account gets restocked), I'd suggest getting a Nubatama or a Shapton Glass 220, a 500 a 1K then a 2K. After that it's a matter of how far you want to refine the edge. If you look in the Sharpening Q&As and through the EP board , you'll find lots of recommendations on stones. As you're just starting out ,keep it simple. A good technique gets better results than $1000 worth of stones.
I just read Delmunkys' explanation on burr removal and it's excellent .

Welcome to the forum and the rabbit hole of sharpening

Douglas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:03 pm 

I use an Atoma 140 to flatten all my EP stones, it is superb. I have a DMT extra coarse plate as well but I found a little stiction issue with that, it does work however and the stiction issue is not severe with the EP sized stones at all.

I have an Atoma 140 for the EP, it is without doubt the most important tool in my kit, it isn't cheap but it is well worth it. They do wear out but I have a sharpening business so even with heavy use I still got about 2 years out of my EP sized 140 and in fact it is still going, just a little worn in the middle.

So yes you can flatten with the Atoma and use it as a coarse stone as well, it will last an eternity compared to the EP 120 or any other coarse stone for that matter.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]