It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:11 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Adding a stone in my progression.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi mark,

it has been a while. I am still loving my knives. still using my 3 takedas & konosuke hd honkotsu, the one that looks like a steak knife & deer skinner. i like the bester 1200 & the shapton glass 8000 with that semi-stainless steel for the hd. the takedas are not particular. the naniwa green brick is a
bout all it gets, maybe the shapton & some leather strops. those two stones remove steel fast on thE HD. what should I use in between those two stones -- my iminichi 4000 or buy something else? I am looking for something that removes steel fast like bester & shapton. should I stick with THE iminichi 4000 or try something else? just trying to speed things up & use less stones in my progression. it is an age thing.

let me know what you think about a iminichi 4000 replacement or not when you get a chance.

mama san still using the Sakai rosewood handled hammered vg10, I think that is what it is. at one time you recommended it as the knife your wife liked. it really holds an edge for a long time & she refuses to dry a knife. actually, an amazing edge holder for the use it gets. I normally just use the naniwa green brick for that one unless it is too dulled out which is not often.

no one has been getting married so that's the reason for purchase slow downs.

I hope all is well & best wishes,

steve o.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Adding a stone in my progression.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

steveO <> Your Imanishi can bridge your 1200 & 8k progression just fine. If you want to try another stone, the Suehiro Rika 5k is an absolutely wonderful experience. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suri50grst.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:01 pm 
Forum Moderator

I don't have any experience with the Imanishi, but yeah, the Rika is another good stone in that range.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:24 pm 

If you want to speed things up.......... perhaps the solution is not to add a third stone to the progression, but to make a change like this.

Assumptions:

Fast stones.
You don't let your knives go too dull.
You keep your knives thin behind the edge.
You want a good edge for Kitchen usage.

If these assumptions are correct, on a fast 1K stone, you can raise a burr in less than 20 strokes a side. 45 seconds tops.
If you went with something like a fast 5K or 6K finishing stone, you could strop the edge on that stone, 15 sweeps a side, 45 seconds tops, and have a really nice edge for kitchen usage.

Your total time investment in sharpening is 1 minute 30 seconds.

The other time in sharpening is stone prep.

Soakers need time to soak if you don't permasoak them.

So, if speed is your goal, you need splash and gos, or permi soak to get rid of the time it takes to prep the stones.

The Bestor is fast, but needs a few minutes minimum soak, so if you want to keep it in your line up, perma soak it.

If you don't want to permasoak, you need one of the new generation fast splash and go's. The Ume 1K speckled medium is just one suggestion thats seriously fast, feels great and is in general an awesome stone.

As for fast splash and go 5k or 6K stones, the King Ice Bear 6K is surprisingly fast, feels good to strop on, and leaves a killer edge.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

I can attest that the nubatama 6 k would be great and even a naniwa ss without the base in 5 k is a option a the rika like melampus said is a great 5k but doesn't that require a brief soak I soak my rika for about 10 mins but I bought the one with the built in feet that's all that was available back when I got mine if you go with the Suehiro Rika with out the base or the 5 k naniwa ss without the base you don't here it talked about much but it's a great stone and no soak, plug and play. Peace jmbullman

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]