It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addict Vs Takeda Vs Konosuke
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Mark,

I would like your advice on a knife purchase for a home cook. I am in the market for a Japanese Gyutou/Wa-Gyuoto, which would be my first Japanese knife. Many years ago I got a Wusthof 210mm chef's knife as a present. I used it for a while, but eventually went back to my cheap, Brazilian made, Inox Tramontina. I found it held an edge a lot better, was easier to sharpen, did not have an annoying bolster and wasn't as heavy (178g vs. 249g).

So my requirements for a knife would be as follows:

Length 210 or 240: I have only ever used a 210, but it seems that the advice is that a 240 is just a great deal more practical.?
Easy to sharpen: this is a prerequisite. I will most likely be purchasing an edge pro or some waterstones.
Holds an edge and is very sharp.
Would prefer something lighter than the Wusthof
Will be my all around knife – It would mainly be used for cutting vegetables
Price range – Under $350

Questions:

1. Carbon, Semi-stainless, or Stainless – I have only ever had a stainless steel knife. I understand carbon knifes are easier to sharpen. However, the rust issue does worry me some along with discoloured onions, smells, etc. I normally only ever clean my knife after dinner so it does sit around some on the cutting board, but it is always hand washed, even the cheap Tramontina knife. Yes, I would consider changing my routine. So I need some advice here, but am tending to lean towards something at least semi-stainless. My wife does the washing-up, I do the cooking…

Some of the knives that caught my eye were the Takeda, Konosuke HD and the Richmond Addict 2.

Your thoughts/advice for a superb all-round knife?

Regards,

Colin

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Addict Vs Takeda Vs Konosuke
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Colin,

I just started a new forum for Chefknivestogo. Do you mind if I use your question and my answer? It will help others who read it. I'll only use your first name if I post it.
index.php

I tend to recommend the Takeda and Konosuke a lot to people. The Takeda is a tall knife, hand made and really fun to use. It's carbon so you need to wipe it dry after you're done using it.

The Konosuke HD is semi stainless so wiping it dry is a good idea too but it's less reactive. It's a very refined knife and very nice with excellent fit and finish. Nice and thin, light and takes a great edge.

You won't go wrong with either one. My knife is more of a workhorse gyuto and it's more difficult to sharpen, though it holds it's edge a really long time. I think you should go with either the Takeda or the Kono for you first wa-gyuto.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

No, I don't mind if you post my comment on the forum. Just first name please.

I am tending towards the Konosuke HD. Regarding the Takeda, how reactive is it? Would you have to dry it often or just at the end of a cutting session?

On another note, how much would it be to ship to BC, Canada?

Thanks, Colin

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

It's a good idea to wipe it off after you cut with it and dry it after you wash it. You don't have to dry it between cuts or anything like that. Just don't let it drip dry.

Shipping to Canada usually costs about $25 and it takes about 10 days.

Mark

Chefknivestogo Blog

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]