It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: A Great Accessory
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:58 pm 

Just thought I'd give a quick review of a nice little piece of kit I picked up from Ken S., that being a 2x3 piece of Atoma plate, 1200 grit. I currently use Nubatamas and Jnats exclusively when it comes to my sharpening needs, and the sharpening needs of my clients. I use this small plate to QUICKLY generate slurry/mud on everything from 1K all the way up to 15K. I have found it allows me to create a muddy stone out of something that is typically not muddy at all. Good example would be the Jnat Ozuku; prior to using the plate this stone would give up very little slurry, but with the small Atoma it generated a surprising amount for such a hard stone. My Jnat Hakka Tomae, one or two quick swirls creates enough mud to build a brick house. For the Nubatamas, in addition to slurry, it does a great job cleaning and refreshing the surface. It also tends extend the amount of time between flattening sessions on my full size Atoma 140.

Do I like mud? Absolutely. Do I recommend this little 2x3 plate? You bet I do mister. -Josh

Post subject: Re: A Great Accessory
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:53 am 
Forum Moderator

+1

It is also an inexpensive way to get an Atoma... albeit 1/4. I didn't wanna drop the whole $125 on a full size 600, for the limited amount of ceramic knife sharpening I do, as I have a full size 140 & 1200 for my stone flattening/knife repair & stone smoothing/slurry stone, respectively. I grabbed the 1/4 plate at reduced rate, and it obviously works just the same in a blade sharpening capacity as the full size. Good deal!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]