It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:34 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 8pc or Arashiyama?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:53 am 

Hey all, new to the board. I started with a Lansky set as a teen and graduated to a Spyderco Sharp Maker and Arkansas stones in my twenties. Nowadays I split between free hand and the Spyderco sharpener. So, I'm used to free hand sharpening. I'm just now entering the world of water stones and am wondering if I would be best served with a 1k and 6k Arashiyama or if I should opt for the 8 piece set. The knives I sharpen include a set of Henckels/Zwilling Twin Profection, Assorted Benchmade folders ( one has a D2 blade of about RC 60-62), a ZT folder with Elmax blade, and a variety of other stuff that includes various Spydercos. Thanks in advance for your help.

Post subject: Re: 8pc or Arashiyama?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:32 pm 

If I were going to be sharpening Henckels I would probably want to have the Aotoshi, which suggests perhaps building your own "set":
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naao2kgrbr.html

I know little about sharpening the other knives you mention, but someone else here will know more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:43 pm 
Forum Moderator

1911 <> Obviously, the 8-piece<--link is a more vertsatile set offering a coarse repair & bevel setting stone with the additional & necessary lapping plate. Plus, if you move into strops<--link, all you need is a substrate<--example link & abrasive<--example link as you already have the base.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:19 pm 

If your collection is made up of a bunch of folders I would recommend harder stones like the shaptons. Softer stones can make sharpening folders difficult.

The Arashiyama stones are some of my favorite and I like to recommend them whenever I can but sometimes there are better types of stones for the sharpening to be done.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:21 pm 

Interesting. I was a bit concerned about D2 perhaps flirting with being too hard. So the Arashiyama is a bit softer than the Shapton, am I understanding that correctly?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:03 pm 

D2 should be no worry, its just more wear resistant and will take more time per stone to sharpen.

The Arashiyama and most stones in general are a bit softer and if your off on the angle just a bit its easy to gouge. This is a minimal issue when sharpening kitchen knives but for folding knives it becomes a very large issue. Harder stones solve this issue and make sharpening smaller blades MUCH easier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:43 pm 

Ok. Good to know.

I have a fairly even mix of knives but the folders see rougher use than the kitchen knives. Thank you for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

1911 - Jason B. is a pro sharpener and has sharpened probably many tens of thousands of knives. He's also used a lot of different stones to find out what works and doesn't work for him in different situations and requirements.

So Jason...how many knives DO you estimate you've sharpened? Inquiring minds want to know ;-).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:43 pm 

I wish I could put a number on the knives I have sharpened. Just this past summer I would say around 20,000.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:52 pm 

Jason B. wrote:I wish I could put a number on the knives I have sharpened. Just this past summer I would say around 20,000.

Gee... is that all?

lol :P

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next