It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:25 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: 6k recommendation
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:20 pm 

I hear that the Rika is a great stone but I do think its to close in grit the green brick has tremendous polishing properties higher than 2k, the Kitayama looks awesome too and price is great. Should I still consider any 6k stones?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:40 pm 

I have a Kitayama and it's a really nice stone. Some say it's closer to a 10k than an 8k? I don't know but I sure like it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:53 am 

depends, what knife are you gonna sharpen up to that level? what do you cut with that knife?

=D

most of the time, you don't need to go beyond the 5k-6k grit range when sharpening. unless you're doing sushi/sashimi....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:05 am 

This stone will be sharpening a variety of knives from Tojiro to forshners. I use these knives for a variety of tasks for hotel prep work. No sushi prep. Just produce & proteins.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 am 

forschners only need to go up to 1-2k max. beyond that it's pointless. =D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:36 pm 

What's the reasoning behind that? I'm new to free hand sharpening. And appreciate all the feedback. I eventually plan on upgrading my forshner to a Richmond laser or Artifex. But why only sharpen a forshner to 1-2k?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:46 pm 

they're too soft to be able to hold high grit edges. soft in respect to their rockwell hardness.

as a general rule, western/european knives have softer steels used in their blades so they can't take that kind of edge that well.

the laser and the artifex will however take those high grit sharpness really well =D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:47 pm 

I wouldn't really say they can't take the edge, the "softer" steels can get very Sharp it just they won't hold that sharpness at thin angles for very long.

Sharpening is about finding balance in the edge angle and the edge finish that best supports the cutting task. Harder steels with more toughness will have better edge stability (the resistance to lateral deformation) thus holding a finer polished edge through the same tasks that would have quickly blunted a lower hardness blade.

So to summarize, harder steels need thinner angles with a higher grit finish, and lower hardness steels need a coarser grit finish at a more obtuse angle. The rules can and do change in the game of sharpening but that up to you to discover along the way.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:34 am 

Lots of questions arose trying to decide what to purchase.
I was hoping to hear some feedback on the Sanyo 6k. The review is positive but not much else. Does it polish well? Does anyone know the micron rating for the Sanyo 6k?
My crappy 6k (full of inclusions) has finally worn away and now I am looking for one magic stone to finish my knives and can also preclude a polishing stone.

Ideal Progression - Nubatama 1000 > ?~6/8k > Polish/J-nats @10k+

If I would need 2 stones maybe something like this,

Nubatama 1000 > ?4k > ?8k > Polish/Jnat

Obviously it's cheaper to buy one than two and less stones keeps the whole process simpler. I understand some stones with the same grit rating on the box can have very different cutting speed and polishing properties.
Is 1k > 8k too large of a jump? 1k to 6k was no problem and was thinking of pushing the boundry straight to 8k. Hopefully I can get away with buying just one (prefer 8k). I prefer a synthetic stone with a bright finish and not really toothy. Considering a Nubatama 6k or 8k?
Any/all stone or combo suggestions please let me know what you think.
Btw I sharpen and polish mostly white/blue steel. Soft stainless doesn't go further than 1k.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:39 am 
Forum Moderator

I have tried many and still use my king 6k and rika 5 k but hands down I am slowly switching to nubatamas that can be used as a very aggressive cutter with the amount of slurry u build up or less slurry or non at all and it can be quite the finishing stone. If your talking j-nats the new Meara is a sleeper everyone but me and 1/2 more have overlooked. I used it on cpm 154 the other day and had quite the swarf build up. Either way you go the previous mentions, king 6 k will never do you wrong the rika is a killer the nubatama is the next generation of uber stones on the block. Peace jmbullman

Page 2 of 3 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next