It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:37 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: 3000 Naniwa getting gouged - what the heck?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:36 pm 

Hello,

I have a set of naniwa stones - 400, 1000, 3000, 6000. I don't use the 400 much, but I do use the other 3 in a standard progression for most of my sharpening needs.

For some reason, the 3000 gets gouged, while I don't currently have a problem with the other 3. I sharpen like shown in CKTG videos - blade edge facing away perpendicularly, going forward and back with equal pressure a certain number of strokes, then moving down the blade edge and doing the same until I reach the tip. The gouging comes at the start/middle of my push stroke. I have been checking my blade angle to make sure that I am not lifting up on the spine, making a more obtuse angle. Can't say that I do. I also thought I may be pressing down too hard on the blade, so I grabbed a kitchen scale and it looks like I am somewhere around 4-5 lbs of pressure, which doesn't sound like too much from what I have read.

Any other thoughts? I clean up the stone after the gouges with a 120 diamond plate, but it still happens frequently. I did have a little bit of the same problem with the 6000 when I first got them, but don't have the issue any more.

For the time being, I have been using the 3000 on pull strokes only, or just not using it at all, and jumping from the 1000 (or 2000 green block I also have) to the 6000. But I'd like to be able to figure this out.

Thanks for any insight.

Post subject: Re: 3000 Naniwa getting gouged - what the heck?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:44 pm 

It's a soft stone so gouging can be a issue. Edge trailing strokes will help for now.

Over time you will get better at not gouging the stone but sometimes it just happens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:34 pm 

Jason summed it up pretty good. Gouging happens to the best of us with soft stones. However this could be a sign you are placing too much pressure.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:17 pm 

Thanks gents. will focus on edge trailing only and lightening up.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]