It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: 3 Most common knives to own?
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mr. Richmond,
I'm getting married this summer on June 14th and intend to return the knives I'm registered for on my wedding registry and returning that money to purchase three knives from you all because I'm told you make some fantastic knives.
I'm a pretty lousy chef - but I'm hopeful that that will change in the near future (my future spouse doesn't cook much at all either) but poor chef or not, it's still nice to have knives that cut well.
Do you agree that if we're going to buy three knives they should be the ones I listed in the subject line? If so would you mind pointing me to a specific knife in each of those categories (I realize serrated edge knife isn't a real category).
Best,
WB

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: 3 Most common knives to own?
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Congrats on your wedding. :)

Yes a chef knife is the go to knife for most people. After that it kind of depends on what you do the most. Paring is usually the second option. The third knife should be something specific to your needs. I personally would choose a bread knife since we cut bread almost every day. Others that do a lot of boning might choose a long utility knife or boning knife. We have a standard questionaire for knife recommendations on our site. If you fill this out we'll help you with some choices. I could guess but it's better if you respond.

1. Are you right handed?
2. What type of knife are you interested in (gyuto, nakiri etc..)
3. What size knife are you looking for?
4. Do you prefer carbon or stainless steel?
5. Do you prefer a western handle or a Japanese handle?
6. How much did you want to spend?
7. Do you know how to sharpen?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:49 pm 

I'll add to this, given your original post, the following questions, which I think are really helpful in cases like yours:

8. Do you have a dedicated cutting board? What size is it and what it is made of?
9. If not, do you plan to buy a new board to go with your new knives? What is the budget?

The purpose of these is not so much the board, but to figure out how much cutting space you have. The size of the board and cutting space is a big factor for many home cooks, and having knives that are sized well to the board is important and may affect recommendations!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:48 am 

The knives that get used the most in my kitchen is a 240mm gyuto and 150mm petty. I can do 99% of kitchen prep work with these two knives.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:45 am 

The knives that get used the most in my kitchen is a 240mm gyuto and 150mm petty. I can do 99% of kitchen prep work with these two knives.

Ditto for me, except I got the Kono HD2 Nakiri and use it quite a bit, too - but it might just have been an excuse to get another knife. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:54 am 

+1 Jeff
Get a gyuto (chef's knife) and a petty. Done and done, on to the next one. But which gyuto and petty? That's exponentially more complicated!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:28 am 

I agree with Jeff, I use a Gyuto the majority of the time, followed by a petty. I also use a bread knife fairly often. Specialty knives are nice, but you can get by with out them.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:55 am 

While not really a knife, per se, I'd put a decent set of sharpening stones on the list as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:10 pm 

coachnj writes: +1 Jeff
Get a gyuto (chef's knife) and a petty. Done and done, on to the next one. But which gyuto and petty? That's exponentially more complicated!

100% agree. And yes, which gyuto and petty is much more complicated. Personally, I like a 240mm gyuto and 150mm petty. But, YMMV

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:32 pm 

Gyuto and a petty. I find that for cooking at home, a 210 gyuto is plenty. I reach for a for a 180 or 210 gyuto a lot more than for a 240.

My 150 is used daily. My parer sits in the drawer.

Page 1 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next