It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3 Most common knives to own?
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:16 am 

If you're going to rely on your knife starting sharp, you may want to have it finish sharpened. No knife comes out of the box in great shape 100% of the time. As for not caring about the geometry... you do. How a knife goes through food is the most important aspect.

I tried the car analogy with a friend the other day and had real trouble, but I'm going to try it again anyway.*Note: I tried the car analogy again and quit halfway through. I decided to summarize a few commonly mentioned knives instead and draw parallels where I could. They'll generally apply to the line.*

Artifex: Inexpensive, bare bones, open to modification. Good starter knife. Maybe a Civic.
Fujiwara FKM: A lighter entry level Japanese knife. Slightly softer than most Japanese knives. Let's say... a Hyundai.
Kohetsu B#2: For the price, incredible. The MX-5 or Mustang.
Kohetsu HAP-40: Not a Tesla or a Ferrari. It's too big, too bulky. Maybe a Volkswagon or a Subaru.

Hopefully others will chime in with car analogies.

If you want a better little intro to work from, watch this video. It's 240mm knives, but the basics will apply.

For fun.
Konosuke HD2: It's light, agile, out of amazing steel that holds a good edge, great grinds, great handle. Great all around knife. Your Tesla, or maybe Porsche.
Masakage Yuki: It's a little beefier than the Kono and takes a little more care. But it's got cutting ability where it counts, feels comfortable in the hand, and looks good doing it. Mercedes S-Class.
Kato: Super expensive, super out of stock, I always notice it on the list, and I've never even seen one. Maybach, baby.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:53 pm 

I have 2 Tojiro knives and both came very sharp and stay that way. I keep them in a block on the counter and always use a maple board. I would recommend the Tojiro 180 or 210 Gyoto. I have the 180, but a slightly longer one will work of you have the space. VG10 is not chippy, at least in Tojiro blades. I can also recommend a petty, either 150 or 135. I have both, but not Tojiros. The 135 is small enough to substitute for a paring knife, on some cases.
I would get a parer. I have a few, but many people recommend the Tojiro for this purpose. I use an old, cheap bread knife that serves me well, and won't upgrade.
Personally, I would rather have the VG10 at rc 60 in Tojiro than the softer steel in some other recommendations. If you need to use a knife for cutting very tough or hard stuff, like lobster shells, think in terms of a softer carbon steel in an inexpensive knife (e.g. Case), or a specialty knife, like a Western deba. Don't use a very thin hard blade on a Gyoto to go through bones or you can expect it to chip.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:36 pm 

I have a nice little collection of Japanese knives, but the last one I would want to lose is the first one I bought.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rilaaosu24gy.html

Using your car analogy it's a Cadillac CTS-V. High performance across a broad range of conditions but still with a few limiting factors.

Beware comparing knives to truly exotic cars. Ferraris may be exquisite but aren't practical at all. Lepus comparing the Kono HD to a Porsche is quite valid. High performance with sensibility and not overly strict care requirements.

Cheers,

Rick

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:03 pm 

I've heard good things about the Kohetsu knives...it should serve you well.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:50 pm 

Thanks for the feedback and analogies (even if the car analogy setup is imperfect)

I think I'm going to go with these two to start out:

Chef’s knife - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohetsublue1.html
Petty/utility/parining - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar15pe.html

I expect to have a very small amout of counter space and as such think my best bet may be buying saya's and storing them in a drawer.

Thanks so much for the help!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:52 pm 

Those should server you well. Congrats

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:29 pm 

Yes, that's a great start. I have the kohetsu blue #2 and the blade grind and Blue #2 steel is a couple of notches up from the tojiro DP which I also have. Don't worry about rusting, the blue 2 is mildly reactive and takes on a patina but won't really rust. The kohetsu comes reasonably sharp and can easily be made sharper by stroping. You can easily keep it sharp by just stroping for quite a while. When you're ready for sharpening the naniwa green brick together with stroping is a nice one stone setup for maintaining it. However, if you damage the edge or tip, you'll need someone to help fix it.

I use the kohetsu most of the time, and a petty or paring from time to time so your choice to go with an inexpensive knife for the petty is a smart move.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:56 pm 

rodneyat wrote:Those should server you well. Congrats

They will also sever you well. Be careful and practice technique!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:47 pm 

Ha! Darn iphone keyboard. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:17 am 

The Kohetsu will wow you. Have fun!

Page 3 of 4 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next