It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:39 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 270 Gyuto Still confused
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:19 pm 

I am still going through all sorts of stages of knife envy trying to figure out the best 270 Gyuto for me. As I noted in another post the beauty of the Kono Fuji Blue # 2 has me more than interested but am curious about the Fuji white #1, Fuji White #2 and Kono White #1 and #2. Has anyone out there had reasonable experience with all the above knives??
I am leaning more to a leaner/thinner machine even moving toward laser type blades so other suggestions are welcome in this higher end type knife. In my case looks do go with function so that is something to consider as well. Also, I have the ability to wait for the item or items to come into stock rather than an overwhelming need to purchase immediately. This will be a life time purchase so I am looking for greatness. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Post subject: Re: 270 Gyuto Still confused
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:18 pm 

I am a white steel junkie and prefer #2 so, I would tell you to go with the Fuji White #2. I have no experience with the Fuji line, so you know, but I absolutely love the Kono White #2 knives I have. A 300mm suji and a 210mm petty.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:13 pm 

Jeff B wrote:I am a white steel junkie and prefer #2 so, I would tell you to go with the Fuji White #2. I have no experience with the Fuji line, so you know, but I absolutely love the Kono White #2 knives I have. A 300mm suji and a 210mm petty.

Thank you Jeff. I gather from your previous posts you absolutely love that knife. Would you ever consider buying something else under say 500 dollars??

Jamie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:20 am 

I have not handled this one but it has gotten a lot of attention: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/funa24gyocha.html

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:13 am 

cedarhouse wrote:I have not handled this one but it has gotten a lot of attention: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/funa24gyocha.html

Hi CH,

I did see the write up about this knife and I am interested but I am looking for a more in your face sort of knife blade that still performs with amazing agility. Thank you

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:17 am 

No problem ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:58 pm 

You may want to try messaging Aaron Gibson with specific questions. Not sure if he has handled all of the ones you are asking about, but he has owned more kono's(8+?) Than anyone I'm aware of.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:12 pm 

mark wrote:You may want to try messaging Aaron Gibson with specific questions. Not sure if he has handled all of the ones you are asking about, but he has owned more kono's(8+?) Than anyone I'm aware of.

Thank you Mark, Will do and thank you for the suggestion.

Jamie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

Jamie - doing a little research on your choices. If you want to go high end, the Sukenari ZDP189 knives are high performance and high edge retention, with head-turning looks to match: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suzdgy27.html. I don't know your exact take on "a more in your face sort of knife blade" as you put it, but this Sukenari series will definitely draw some eyeballs it's way ;-).

Another nice performer and a real looker is the Masakage Shimo 270, but it's pretty darn tall at the heel, which you may or may not like...

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:43 pm 

SteveG wrote:Jamie - doing a little research on your choices. If you want to go high end, the Sukenari ZDP189 knives are high performance and high edge retention, with head-turning looks to match: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suzdgy27.html. I don't know your exact take on "a more in your face sort of knife blade" as you put it, but this Sukenari series will definitely draw some eyeballs it's way ;-).

Another nice performer and a real looker is the Masakage Shimo 270, but it's pretty darn tall at the heel, which you may or may not like...

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for taking the time to look up some items. I do have two Shimo's and they are beautiful but I am looking to go in another direction to really get the J-knife experience. I am somewhat anal as far as learning things and am not afraid to wander from the norm or take the time to learn from actual hands on experience. As I noted it was the picture of the Kono Fuji blue #2 270 Gyuto which got my head spinning and is my reference point for my definition of in your face beauty. The Clad blades, as is the Sukenari you have noted, are stunning, but I already know the Kono Fuji I have referenced will be the item which sets the bar. I am just not sure how this Kono blade performs and if it really is as thin as I would like (I would be shocked if it is not one of the true performing knives at the top of the list but I do want to know the truth of it before I consider breaking into my piggy bank). I am convinced it is the defined shinogi line combined with a more polished look which is grabbing my attention. If I can get this a a very thinned out version or if the OOTB blade is already appropriately thin, then I will be in heaven regardless which high quality smith makes the blade. Of course I can thin it out myself but I prefer if the grind is per the Smith's instructions. I hope that makes sense.

PS, I have no problem with a very tall heel.

Jamie

Page 1 of 3 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next